OCZ Solid Series vs G.SKILL FM SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chowmein, Mar 25, 2009.

1. chowmein macrumors member

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

Both drives are crap. Honestly, I should remove the G.Skill FM drives from my list.

3. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

why ?

4. chowmein thread starter macrumors member

5. emt1 macrumors 65816

That guy just hypes the drive because he paid for it and doesn't want to say that he paid all that money for nothing. Read the reviews on Newegg. Sorry, but you get what you pay for.

6. chowmein thread starter macrumors member

explain

All the people who say that it's crap are the PC users. I see a whole bunch of "works great with OS X and MacBook Pro" and etc. Can you explain to me why you think this is such a bad SSD? Have you ever owned one? Thanks in advance.

7. emt1 macrumors 65816

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531&p=17

8. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

have you tried to click his thread
    SSD COMPARISON CHART

:D

9. chowmein thread starter macrumors member

10. xoggyux macrumors 6502

Have you tried that drive :confused: maybe you are right and I might be exagerating, but what is more close to the truth someone exaggerating something or someone talking about something they do not know?

In the other hand newegg ratings are not bad 4 out of 5 (for one of the cheapest drives out there) is not bad and is not a bad sample with over 40 reviews it should be accurate, in the otherside as chowmein pointed out, most of the people complaining about the drive are in fact using it with window XP and Vista which happens to have problems with amost (if not all) SSD drives and many of the people complaining are actually using them as regular 3.5" HDD (FOR DESKTOP) replacement, obviously this drive might get short against a pretty quick desktop HDD stripped array but thats not an option for your MBP or is it?

The alternatives are either $500++ or just wait painfully until a decent comes along.....

11. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Im holding out for an intel ssd. Still pricey....but give it 6 months.

12. RKpro macrumors 6502

I'm also holding out for an X25 80GB or OCZ Vertex 120GB, both are about $500 CAD, which ever one dips first is the one I'm getting. Everything else is crap at the moment.

13. xoggyux macrumors 6502

define cr@p? :confused:

I think that if you can get performance near (or even better) to Desktop HDDs into a laptop and in top of that you get ABSOLUTE silence and you can shake the laptop without fear the drive will break (please do not tell me who will shake the laptop, its just an expression, but sudden movement does happen and the motion sensor is not 100% effective) and ~$200 is an small price to pay for those advantage WHILE waiting for the good ones (I ALSO THINK INTELS/SAMSUNGS are the way to go but $500 for 80GB is a total NONO! yet my HDD was driving me crazy with all that noise) anyway chowmein, I do think (if you cannot wait a year or so to get your hands on an affordable SSD) then either of those will be your best chance (I got the G.Skill so I recommend that one, besides you do not have to wait for rebate, however as far as I know both drives are very similar to the point some people suggested is basically the same drive with different brand name)
    Again check the ratings, $200 is not a lot of money it that it does not worth the experiment?

14. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I have a OCZ Vertex and it is great. :)
    And the prices are getting more and more reasonable.

15. RKpro macrumors 6502

Most of the cheap current gen SSDs use cheap JMicron controller, and so performance declines over time, slow write speeds, stutters/freezes when multitasking.

16. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

the Crucial 64GB 2.5" SATA SSD looks pretty good. however I haven't heard much about it.

any thoughts?

17. JGO macrumors member

What firmware did your drive come with? Have you had any of the problems that have been described on the OCZ forums?

18. xoggyux macrumors 6502

All drives (included "the good ones") have that problem, in fact HDDs have that problem as well the thing is that since they are slow, its harder to realize of even more slow performance. Anyway again, most people that complain about stuttering are running on windows (I do not mean it does not happen on OS X also, but is either more rare or less noticeable) anyway for what it is worth I've have the G.Skill drive for over a month now and no decrease in performance its been apparent) anyway this is kind of a drive for waiting for next a better one to come.

Also I hear a lot of people that just bought their MBP or bought them recently (less than 1 year) and are saying they will certainly do the upgrade but in 1/2 year time when intel drives become "affordable" the thing is that makes little sense, since by that time then you will probably need to get a new laptop anyway or if you do not because you do not need the speed then it will be hardly to justify upgrading to SSD even if they are cheaper than they are now.

chowmein if you got the money, do not be affraid, either one you choose you will not be dissapointed, SSD its been the single performance boost I have seen in ANY computer in my life (and this come from someone that used to own a pIII @450mhz, 64mb ram and 16mb video and went to a Athlon X2 @ 2.2Ghz 3GB ram and 256 Geforce 8600, thats how big SSD jump is compared to HDD :D)

19. bossxii macrumors 68000

The OCZ Vertex seems to be the only OCZ drive performing well. Next to the Intel X25-M I think this may be my choice once I see the 512gig models arrive.