OCZ SSD and Hibernation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jakerz, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Jakerz macrumors regular

I've been looking at getting the 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD but it has Sandforce and from what I have read on these forums is that Sandforce Solid State Drives have an issue with hibernation.

I have never put my MBP into hibernation. I always just close the lid which puts it into sleep mode. Since I never hibernate my MBP myself, what is the likelihood that I will run into the Sandforce Hibernation problem?

2. pricej636 macrumors 6502

As long as you put the computer to sleep manually and not let the timer do it, you should be fine.

3. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

Don't pull the trigger yet on buying the Vertex 2. The Vertex 3 is coming soon. Also, OS X Lion may have TRIM support for SSD's. I want a SSD and am waiting until the OCZ Vertex 3 is available and will install after I upgrade to Lion.

4. Jakerz thread starter macrumors regular

Has there been any reported release date? I have done some searching over the past few days and haven't found anything.

5. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

I think I saw a 3/21 date being thrown around. Here's to hoping it's soon as I'm waiting for these as well.

6. MMV macrumors newbie

There is a preference pane that I used back on my old c2d MBP that had issues going from sleep to hibernation. It's called Smart Sleep. Hibernation writes RAM to the hard drive. Not a great idea to do on a regular basis.

I ended up using the same preference pane when I put a SSD into my i7 MBP. I have it set to 'smart sleep', it'll force it to remain sleeping until the batter gets down to about 10%, then it'll start to move into hibernation, and by 5% it'll be hibernation only.

http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html

I also did a few other tweaks like turned off the sudden motion sensor, an set the mount option 'noatime' (which I could have sworn I set via /etc/fstab, but maybe I did the plist method and can't find the plist). That disables 'unix' from recording the last time a file was accessed.