OCZ SSD Core in Mac Pro ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ntux, Aug 14, 2008.

1. ntux macrumors member

Hi,

Has anyone tried using one of the new OCZ SSD Core Series drive in a mac pro ?

Since they're approaching reasonable prices (for SSD drives, anyway), I'd be interrested in using one (a 64GB) as a system drive.
    But since i've read that many people are experiencing issues in AHCI mode, I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has ever tried using one in a Mac Pro (1st or 2nd gen) under leopard, and if it worked fine.

Thanks.

2. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

If you do go with it, at 2.5", some type of adapter would be required.
    More $$. :(
    As for the AHCI issue, I don't know for sure. IIRC, can't it be disabled?

4. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Two thoughts. Nanofog once suggested (to me) using the MaxUpgrades Velociraptor adaptor (a 2.5" to 3.5") with an SSD. Might work. Also, I asked the people at DVNation about this, and they sell their 2.5" SSDs with adaptors if requested. Depending on where you buy your SSD, the company might solve the problem for you.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

The MaxUpgrades part should work, but at just short of $50 USD, some might think twice. I guess it comes down to 'If you need it, you need it". :eek:

I wasn't aware DVNation had a solution available. Nice to know, Thanks! :)
    Any idea on cost?

6. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I say dont waste your money on an 128GB SSD...why not install a WD Raptor? Isnt that fastest enough to last a year until the prices drop and the sizes increase?

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

That's going in another thread. :) WD has just released a 3.5" backplane compatible unit (replacing previous 3.5" unit), so no additional mounting hardware needed. ;) :cool:
    More $$ left in our pockets is definitely a good thing. :D

8. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

It's a tough call. Depending on how much matters, the benchmarks may justify getting an SSD. I'm leaning towards one myself, but I'm reluctant to get an MLC model like the OCZ Core. I may get an SLC option. The Mtron MOBIs are the cheapest out there, but not the fastest in terms of read and write speeds. In the end, however, they are still fast with access and known to be stable.

9. NYCubby macrumors newbie

Guys -

I've been running a 3.5" 64gb Mtron Pro 7000 (Sata 1) in my Mac Pro since late last year. I have 2 32gb partitions on it for OSX and Windows Vista -- the Mtron is my boot drive. I also have a 1tb data drive in there too.

Under OSX I get just over 100MB/s read rate. My Mac Pro boots significantly faster than the stock 250gb drive it replaced and still a bit faster than a WD Raptor (Mtron has a .1ms access time!). I don't usually even see the spinning gear it boots so fast!

Under Windows Vista, I am "locked" at the 80MB/s transfer rate because of AHCI being turned off. I still think it's really fast!

Just popped in a 64gb OCZ Core and installed Windows Vista on it and I am getting average read speeds of 123-130MB/sec -- much faster under windows than the Mtron. This is because it's SATA 2 and OCZ actually states that for better performance AHCI should be turned OFF. It's FAST!

Think I'm gonna keep it in there for Vista and reinstall OSX on the Mtron dedicate all 64gb of it to OSX.....

Just my experience.....

Aaron

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Nice info! :)

Personally, I'll wait for SSD's to mature so capacities increase, and the prices to fall well below the stratosphere ($/GB). ;)

11. m1stake macrumors 68000

I'll pick up one or two with the Nehalem Mac Pro in February or March.

12. Ahab the Eskimo macrumors newbie

OCZ Core 64GB SSD in Mac Pro

Hi.
    I do.

I'm running the OCZ core 64GB model in a 2008 Mac Pro. I've got it mounted in the 2nd DVD bay inside. It has power there since I don't use the DVD power supply. I have it plugged into one of those extra unused SATA ports on the logic board (#5 & 6).

I'm using it because it's quiet -- it's the only drive inside the Mac, the CPU & GPU fans are the only things I can hear. It's a lot quieter and less hot that the 160GB Raptor I had in there before. I keep the loud hard drives in the closet.

I honestly can't say much about the performance since the Raptor performance was great and the stats are pretty similar. I can't say anything about system startup because I have an Areca RAID card that adds a minute to system startup -- plus I just don't care, that's my coffee break time.

Here is the Xbench results when I have the drive running as a boot drive.
    [​IMG]
    It doesn't seem spectacular. Seems the 4k random performance is very slow. As a single user I doubt that will be much of an issue. I wonder if I attach the OCZ SSD to the Areca Card if that would increase the 4k performance... ? Honestly I don't really use Xbench much.

Anyway, Photoshop opens in 1.5 seconds now, but I don't really have anything to compare that to... After Effects about performs the same. Maybe it's a tiny bit "snappier" and more responsive but RAM is the big factor in AE. Performance is still reliant on the performance of the other disk drives especially if I'm dealing with a lot of video. I do a bit of 3D animation but I haven't had a chance to make any real world comparisons. Honestly I think there should be a noticeable (small) difference in render times -- but yeah, inconclusive.

Anyway, I've also had many HDD go south on me. Having a hot old Raptor in a cool new system seemed like a liability. Also I've got Time Machine and a 3rd backup should my entire system burn up.

In conclusion. I like it, but it's not mindblowingly fast. Yes I do notice a difference, even from a Raptor, but it's not significant. It is fast, it is quiet. But it's cheap enough now that I can replace it in a couple years with whatever sci-fi drives they have out in a few years.

13. TIGOS macrumors regular

TIGOS

WOW... this OCZ is very slow!!!! :eek:

My Vertex give-me an better results in XBench = 264pts

14. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

note that this thread is a year old