OCZ SSD Warning!!!! Read before YOU buy!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 00pants, Jun 29, 2011.

1. 00pants macrumors newbie

Hi,

If this warning has already been given I apologize (Dooh!! wish I had found the post before), anyhow...
    My OCZ Vertex II SSD recently failed, it was only 2 months old!!!
    I thought no problem, raise an RMA with OCZ and get a replacement, etc.
    Apparently not!!!!
    As I bought the drive in beijing at a retailer that is apparently not an authorised reseller of OCZ drives the 3 year warranty is not valid!!!

This is such a CON!!!!! it is their product, it is faulty, and the claims of a 3 year warranty are b#ll*x!!!

SO BEWARE, unless you buy from an OCZ authorised reseller (as listed on their website!!) your warranty is NULL & VOID!!!!!

Just to highlight, I now live in Australia and their are lots of places NOT listed as authorised resellers on the OCZ website selling OCZ drives openly advertising them as having a 3 year manufacturers warranty, which is NOT TRUE!!!!

Oh well, I will just have to have a trip back to Beijing and hope the retailer will do the right thing, dooh!!!!
    :(

2. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Also, don't let this post scare you away from OCZ SSD in general.
    I have one and it works great (at least, at the 6mo mark)
    Just make sure you check and update your firmware as soon as you get one

As for OP, sorry to hear about your purchase. I hope the retailer does the right thing. Maybe make sure to always purchase online?
    I figure the tiny cost increase in purchasing from a well known reseller is more comfort than ending up in the same situation as you :(
    good luck

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...thanks for the info, I'll stick with Crucial, Intel, etc...

4. ChazB macrumors member

Any manufacturer has the option to refuse returns of defective products sold by a non-authorized retailer. Intel, Crucial, APPLE, etc. This isn't an isolated incident. Best advice; buy from an authorized retailer. You may pay a little more, but you have the added security of knowing that the product is genuine and supported.

Hardware counterfeiting is a huge problem; especially in that region so I'm not surprised you were refused. Sony did the same thing to me a few years ago with a "Memory Stick Pro Duo" that I bought on eBay from Asia. It got to them and they told me it was a knock off and they wouldn't support it.

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The trick here is that you likely bought an "OEM" drive, not a "retail" drive. Nearly every component manufacturer sells "OEM" hardware that is meant to be sold directly to computer manufacturers. The idea is that the computer manufacturer takes over warranty responsibilities in exchange for getting a lower price. (i.e. Dell buys 100 hard drives for 80% the price of retail, so even if 5% fail, and Dell has to eat the price of replacing them, they've still paid less than paying 100% retail.)

OEM components cost less for a reason. It isn't the reliability, it's the difficult-to-impossible return policies.

6. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

My OCZ Agility 2 has been trucking along for over a year now... No problems whatsoever. If any problems DO arise, I certainly would expect MicroCenter to handle it for me.

7. ChazB macrumors member

I've had no problem returning OEM hardware purchased from an authorized retailer as long as I had a receipt.

8. RichardBeer macrumors regular

RichardBeer

My 60GB OCZ failed not long after I got it, I still need to set up an RMA and get it fixed. It's just a load of trouble to get it all fixed, the nearest repair centre is in the Netherlands..

9. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Obviously, it depends on where you bought it, and what company made it.

If you bought it from a certain retailer, and are returning it to the same retailer, then you're completely at the mercy of the retailer. Good retailers make returns easy.

Also, the component manufacturer matters. Intel will allow direct-return of OEM designated hardware, Seagate (I think, it might be Hitachi...) doesn't.

10. 00pants thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies guys, I suppose it is my own fault for being a gullible arse!!
    But just to point out the unit I bought was 100% genuine (serial number recognised by OCZ, unit also had security/id tag) and it was also a retail product (came in retail box, with all booklets and metal adapter thingy).

I agree with what most people have said, however it is morally and ethically wrong for any company to allow its products to be sold by any retailer as 3 years manufacturers warranty when they are never going to honour the warranty.

Good luck and hope your OCZ SSD never fails!!!