Ocz Ssd

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by NEUengineer, Aug 15, 2010.

1. NEUengineer macrumors member

I've been doing. Lot of reading into SSD's and am considering one for my 2006 MP. Supposedly they slow down over time. But here's my question:

Let's say I buy a 120GB OCZ 3.5" drive and move all my 80GB of user and OS files on to it. But after that, I only save the occasional word, XL or ppt file on it. Maybe download a PDF now and then. No movies downloaded, no large file transfers. Using the drive like that, I expect that I won't fill up the other 40GB of free space for a long time, so I don't even need to delete anything off the drive, even if I don't need it anymore. Will the drive still slow down?

I currently only have 4GB of ram, but will probably get 8GB more soon. Are there other operations that will write things to the drive under normal use that i have no control over?

Andy

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well, SSDs can slow down which is why it would be nice if OSX had trim support. But I think you'd be ok.

3. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Well i had mine for over half a year now, and no problems, plus new OCZs have garbage collection which is like Trim, thus preventing the slow down.

4. strausd macrumors 68030

5. NEUengineer thread starter macrumors member

Trim

So as I understand it, being able to "TRIM" the drive eliminates things I've deleted so that the drive knows it can save new files to those locations - yes?

Would reformatting the drive serve the same purpose (ignoring the fact that i would need to reinstall everything again)?

I'm more concerned with having physical hardware problems that slow down the drive. If it's just that it gets "gummed up" with extra crap that can be erased, even if it means a reformat every year or two, no big deal.

6. strausd macrumors 68030

As I understand it, reformatting won't do the trick. The OS will mark it as free space on the drive, but the data will still be on it. If you would like to restore an SSD to its peak performance, check this out. But since OS X doesn't support TRIM, I'd suggest either an OCZ Vertex 2 or OWC SSD.