OCZ Vertex 120 (PC vs Mac Edition) Price on Newegg

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bbadalucco, May 13, 2009.

1. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

Just saw this on Newegg:

PC Edition $399
    Mac Edition $519

I've read numerous times that they ARE THE EXACT SAME DRIVE. Am I missing something?

WOW

2. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

I've been doing some research on OCZ Vertex drives. Sounds like they are mainly in BETA form and you have to do continuous firmware updates. Just go with the Apple version, safer bet. ;)

3. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

Don't know what the difference is.

A month ago this was about $300 after rebate.

Wouldn't buy now if you can wait for prices to come down

4. bbadalucco thread starter macrumors 6502

Honestly I owned (sold for an intel) the OCZ Vertex 250gb. Although the firmware upgrades sucked, I think they have it figured out with the latest. Taking what each has on paper, the Vertex performed the same as the intel.

They are good drives, but the pricing becuase its a Mac edition is just ridiculous.

5. beg_ne macrumors 6502

I think OCZ has gotten greedy recently. They've been jacking up the price of their drives the last few weeks and IMO are no longer competitive for their price range. Also the whole Mac edition is a waste, lots of people used the "PC" version with no issue.

I assume they think Mac users are stupid and will fork even more money over to them for no benefit.

If you're considering an SSD either go for the 80 GB Intel, or the 128 GB G.Skill Falcon (uses the same controller and firmware as OCZ). Both options are significantly cheaper.