OCZ Vertex 2 in 2010 Mac Pro 6-Core - Known issue with Sandforce SSD's

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 3282868, Dec 7, 2010.

1. 3282868, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2010

3282868 macrumors 603

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question. I installed a new OCZ Vertex 2 120 GB SSD in my Westmere 6-Core. Of course I would be experiencing the hibernation kernel panic. At first i thought it was an issue with OS X, then i began reading the threads. It's an issue with Sandforce SSDs and OS X putting the system into hibernation. Apparently firmware 1.24 addresses this issue, but guess what? I need to install Windows to flash the firmware. Spent all day installing W7 64-bit (I made certain to read all the threads on OCZ and W7 64-bit is fully supported). After getting AHCI loaded and all the proper Intel Matrix drivers running, OCZ toolbox and the SSD update do not recognize any OCZ devices in W7, even though W7 sees it as a drive it doesn't see it as a SSD.

I've been banging my head all day and I'm tired. I've even tried to format and force format the drive through W7 (of course I'm running W7 on another SATA drive) and each time it fails to fully format. Now I have no OS to boot, Snow Leopard is fried from failed attempts to format the SSD and W7 won't boot.

I'm thinking of returning this sucker and getting a SSD at OWC. I addition to this, spending a good part of the day on OCZ forums I've noticed that OCZ tech support treats their customer base like s##t. I couldn't believe the arrogance.

Any throughts, suggestions or opinions on this matter? Thanks!

2. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

Hi
    Ive the same drive in my macpro 08 and i do see the hibernation issue. I havent tried to fix it yet as im so busy with work.
    but hopefully find a solution to it.
    worse case is i could just sell it if need be as i still have my other drive hooked up still.

3. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Funny, I don't experience that issue in my 08 Mac Pro.

For what it's worth, OS X's sleep actually works a bit differently from Windows's Hibernate, from what I've read of the implementation. Best to distinguish between them, I think.

Be nice to hear from other people about their experiences with or without the issue.

4. Garen macrumors regular

Garen

I have the same setup as the OP and have zero issues with the drive

5. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Sounds like you wasted your time. All day??? Send that puppy back and get on with life.

JohnG

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

You'd need to use a PC to flash the firmware on the SSD (cheaper than just returning the drives, as you will lose some money in doing so; shipping at a minimum, but restocking fess would be likely IMO).

Hopefully you can get access to one (work or friend <beer and pizza might be a useful means of persuasion>;)), if you don't have a system at home to use.

Otherwise, send it back, and get a unit from OWC.

7. barmann, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

barmann macrumors 6502

There is this guide from the OCZ forums, worked well for me, I used a MacBook Pro to flash a 60GB Vertey 2, no PC required, and no Windows install.

Also, I had some tough time with an OWC SSD, couldn't format after failed flashing attempt in both OSX and Windows 7, and finally put it in an external drive dock - formatting worked again under OSX !

There are no issues - yet - with my MacPro and SSD Raid0 as boot, sleep works, but afaik the default setting for Mac Pros is hibernate off ; my MBP is sleep hell, though, whether I use an OWC or Vertex 2 SSD .

8. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

No kidding! lol I've been home sick, medication + determination = wasted day (I tend to get focused on solving problems, communications/IT or not). I reinstalled OS X 10.6 and deleted all remnants of Windows on my system (I could hear my system die a little inside with every Windows boot lol j/k). I shut off hibernation on my system (which is essentially "sleep mode, " is it not? or am I wrong?). I referred to it as "hibernation" as that is the kext related to the kernel panic. I bought the SSD on Newegg and opted for their 1 year support for $25 (decided to be safe than sorry, I got the 120GB drive at Newegg for under $200 so w/ savings $25 wasn't bad).

Unfortunately, this is related to all Sandforce SSD's, OWC SSD's have had the same issue it turns out. Firmware 1.24 isn't even confirmed to fix the issue (many claim rolling back the firmware solved the kernel panic), and OCZ has retracted their statement regarding an OS X method for flashing their products.

Thanks for the tip, although I followed that guide as well. I attempted it with Vista 32 and 64-bit and W7 32/64 bit, no go. After speaking with OCZ tech support (who were stumped and no help) I decided to wait it out as I have a while before I can return it w/o a restocking fee. I had the same issue as you, formatting the SSD on Windows 7 failed, even in command prompt with force format. It also reported bad sectors, although "Disk Utility" doesn't report any errors and all the various tests I performed in OS X reported no known errors.

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Why not just use sleep? Is hibernate worth all this trouble?

10. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I don't use hiberantion ever, so I have not seen that problem but I just deleted the partition I had created in Win 7 64 without formatting to ntfs or anything, and then in a separate windows 7 64 drive in the mac pro, ran the updater again and it finally took and stuck at 1.24. Then I cloned back to mac OS.

11. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Wait, isn't sleep the same as hibernate? It's different for "Mac Pro's" than "Mac Book's" as closing a portable essentially puts it in sleep mode. However, sleep for a desktop system is essentially "hibernate". In "Energy Settings" I only have "Computer Sleep" and "Display Sleep" settings. The kernel panic results with the hibernate kext on my system. Am I misunderstanding?

I've always set my system to sleep after 10 minutes, I don't want my system running 24/7 nor do I want to shut it down fully every night. I'm surprised given Apple's recent push for SSD's in their systems that this issue with Sandforce SSD's on OS X systems seems to be taken so lightly by such companies as OCZ.

12. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

You can check if you are using hibernation mode using pmset -g in terminal.

See this Macworld article about it:
    http://www.macworld.com/article/53471/2006/10/sleepmode.html

-Kevin

13. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Very interesting. At first glance I assumed the article related only to portables. I ran the check and discovered my system was in sleep mode 1. I changed it to 0. Given this, when my Mac Pro awakes from sleep it shouldn't tax the SSD as it wasn't writing to it and wasn't completely asleep, no? Thanks!

14. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yeah, especially with SSDs you don't want the contents of RAM being written to the drive. Only downside, like the article says, is that if you lose power and can't save docs, you'll lose anything that's open.

Also make sure you delete your current sleep image since you were using hibernation.

Setting that mode to '0' you should see quick sleeps and wakes, since nothing is written to disk.

-Kevin

15. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Should have been set to zero anyway, mine is...

16. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Doh! I didn't even read that far into the article. Thanks again! :eek:

From the article it seems newer Mac's are set to 3 by default.

17. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Just to add to this.....I'm extremely happy with my OWC 120 Mercury Extreme Pro so far.....although only had it a few weeks though. OWC has always been extremely helpful and friendly to me.

I'll be putting it into a new 2010 Mac Pro 2.8 Quad on Friday yay!

-Kevin

18. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Congrats on your new system! Let us know how it is :)

I spent a lot of time researching SSD's, in the end it was between OCZ and OWC. I chose OCZ based on Newegg's price and overall reviews. Figures I'd miss the hibernate issue beforehand. :eek:

19. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Yes, but not Mac Pro's!!!

Mine has always been set to 0 :p

MacBook Pro is set to three.

20. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Yeah.... but I wouldn't trust hibernate anyway. It's pretty easy to hit the save button first!

21. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yeah, I agree. I never trust it either. I set my MacBooks to 0 as well.....sleeps almost instantly!

Yeah, I thought the Pros were always set to 0 by default. Pretty sure my 2006 has always been set to 0. Will have to check on my new one on Friday.

-Kevin

22. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

This is a fresh install of Snow Leopard, and I've confirmed on a 2010 iMac that is was set to 3 as well. Don't know why...

23. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

This is NOT a problem with the SSD but if you can't get it to work............ just move ON.

FWIW, my Vertex 2 SSD works GREAT in my MP. :cool:

24. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

True that it might not be the issue with the kernel panics, that might be firmware like he said, but at least he isn't hibernating anymore with an SSD, which most sites will tell you not to do.

-Kevin

25. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

If it's not an issue with the firmware thaaaan why do such companies as OCZ acknowledge the issue and even address it by supplying owners with a firmware update for Sandforce SSD's such as the Vertex 2? I'm glad it's a non-issue for you, but for others it is an issue and simply moving "ON" isn't a solution. Instead of being negative why not be productive as others have been by helping?

Again, thanks for the help! You taught me a few things when you didn't have to and I greatly appreciate it. :)