OCZ Vertex 2 maintenance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by duncanbrodie1, Sep 3, 2011.

1. duncanbrodie1 macrumors member

This may be the wrong place for this thread, so move me if I'm wrong here.
    I was just wondering if there is anything that users out there are doing to maintain the speed and performance of their SSD's.
    I know TRIM is a huge debate, but from what I understand Im staying away from it.
    What else can I do to make sure that I get the most out of the drive.

side note: I replaced my boot drive with the 120GB SSD shortly after I purchased my MBP, then moved the 500GB HDD to the opti bay using a caddy.
    I keep all of my itunes and storage on this drive, while just the OS and home folders remain on the SSD.

Thanks for any help.

Also, if there are any threads that might be similar to this (which Im sure there are) could somebody link me? Im having trouble searching. Mroogle...

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I have the same drive. Recently activated Trim after a long time using it without any problems. Emtying trash takes a little longer which suggests it is working. But it works like a charm now and before.
    It doesn't benchmark any different but I also lack any decent benchsoftware on the OSX. The good stuff costs and I don't see me paying for benchmark software.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That drive has a Sandforce controller, and those seem to work pretty well long term just using the controllers own, internal garbage collection.

If it will make you feel better, you can enable TRIM temporarily the boot into single user mode and run the command "fsck -ffy" (in Lion) and it will TRIM all the free space on the drive. After that you can disable TRIM. This will put the drive back to a like new state as far as TRIM goes.