OCZ Vertex 2 on 2011 17" Good to go?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jeff5886, May 11, 2011.

1. Jeff5886 macrumors regular

I just want to make sure that I am good to go before I pull the plug....

I have a new 2011 MBP 17". I am going to install an OCZ 180g Vertex 2.

- Are there any know issues installing this in my model MBP? Do I need to update any firmware right off the bat?
    - I am going to keep my Opti drive and install this right into the HDD spot. Will it be simple plug and play?
    - Do i need any special adapters or cases or does it simply install where the old one went and go?

Thanks.

2. keantan macrumors regular

If you can go with the vertex 3, the SATAIII interface is much faster over SATAII.

2.5" drives are a standard size so if your installing it where the HDD slot is, its a direct fit.

3. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I put my 120GB Vertex 2 in my 13" i7 2011 MBP and no issues whatsoever. plug and play. (I did update its firmware to 1.33 recently while it was in the PC).

I simply dropped it in, attached the old mac HDD via cable and use carbon copy - hey presto whoosh.....

(worth setting as boot device, running a repair permissions and disabling the motion sensor but those are post transfer clean up tasks).

Had no issues with it sleeping etc :)

4. Jeff5886 thread starter macrumors regular

??? Details

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I have ordered the same drive because it offers great GB/€. I already have it at home but am still waiting for the optibay to install it in my 2010 15".
    I see no reason why it shouldn't work in the 2011.

Already tested it on my Windows desktop. Random Data sequential write is almost 120MB/s thus hardly anything less than the 34nm drives. Seems to have enough DIEs.
    Just because with vertex2 and 25nm everybody kept complaining about much less speed but the 180GB is hardly affected at all but it still is a lot cheaper than pretty much any other SSD in that size at least in Europe.
    Non Random data and reads are blazing fast anyway.

Cannot wait to put it in my notebook. 180GB is the first affordable SSD that is of usable size. With Windows & OSX I cannot do with 120GB like some people. I would have the HDD running so much that my battery life suffers. 170 real GB is enough for both. Only pictures, movies and some games in Windows need to go on the HDD.

It will be great for gaming with quick restart into the other OS and much faster VM work. Also more silent.