OCZ Vertex-2 SSD - TWO failures in 30 days with my macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bluearctop, Sep 5, 2011.

1. bluearctop macrumors newbie

Hi, I upgraded my iMac 27" and my Macbook Pro 2010 w/ a Vertex-2 120GB SSD around 3 months ago. The iMac has been going strong since. The MBP has had two failures. The drive lasted around 30 days each time. Ugh! Has anyone else had such bad luck w/ the Vertex-2 and MBP? Any better drive suggestions?

Thanks.

2. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

reading the reviews on newegg, it seems your experience is far from uncommon. While i don't yet have an SSD, after researching here, it seems that the Samsung drives are consistently getting the best reviews. They are only SATA II, but then again so was your vertex 2. Id look into grabbing one of those.

3. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

SSDs still have a long way to come, but that doesnt mean that should be expected. Other people have had great experience with other brands so that might be worth looking into.

4. mark28 macrumors 68000

The only reliable SSD's are from Intel.

All the other SSD's are just as reliable as HDD.

5. icstoo macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've been running OCZ Vertex (1st Gen) in my mini and two old Dell desktops for a couple of years, Vertex 2's in my MBP and newer Dell desktop for the last few months and recently a Vertex 3 in a new MBP for the past few weeks all without issue. I suspect it is a lottery whether you get a duff drive (as with any product really) but just thought I'd share my experience that it's not all bad :)

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I had a horrible time with the original Vertex and a MacBook pro a few years back. Generally unstable the entire time and after 6 months had a hardware failure and I had to RMA it. I begged them for a refund because of how terrible the drive had been and they finally agreed after a few weeks. Intel X25-M G2 has been running like a dream since.

OCZ's Mac support was nonexistent. Many Mac users on their own discussion boards were having the same issues and firmware updates kept getting promised and never delivered (for nearly a year until I stopped caring to check.) I would never use OCZ again nor recommend their products to anyone.