OCZ Vertex 250 / Boot Camp / XP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Igotmacqs, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Igotmacqs macrumors member

OCZ Vertex 250 / Boot Camp / XP Pro / 2009 MacPro

Anyone succesfully running this combo? Any problems to worry about?

2. Igotmacqs thread starter macrumors member

3. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Surprisingly it will work just as any other harddrive / solid state drive put in the Mac Pro.

Shocking I know ;)

4. TechViking macrumors regular

Really? Do you know for sure that the intel X25-M SSD works with bootcamp in mac pro? Currently it is thought not to work with any of the macs with boot camp, including the mac pro. I dont know about the OZX one though.

5. Igotmacqs thread starter macrumors member

Should work does not always equate to does work
    as some of our brethren with Intel SSD's are reporting. ;)

It would be reassuring to hear from a user with that has this setup up and running that it is a known-good combo.

6. NYCubby macrumors newbie

Guys

The Intel X25-m Works perfectly Fine with Bootcamp in the Mac Pro.

I have one dedicated to Windows 7 x64 and it's great!

Aaron

7. Igotmacqs thread starter macrumors member

What was your setup on the dedicated Bootcamp / Windows drive? Did you leave the smallest possible OSX Partition and the rest for Windows?

8. TechViking macrumors regular

Not sure if I should be excited about hearing this or not!

Is this with a 2009 or 2008 Mac pro?

Does anyone know if this (X25-M running windows in bootcamp) ever worked on the pre2009 mac pros?

9. TechViking macrumors regular

Bump this :)

And also NYCUBBY, did you test any other version of Windows with bootcamp prior to installing x64 Win 7? XP/Vista? Thanks.

10. NYCubby macrumors newbie

TechViking

Previously, I was using Vista x86 (32 bit) with my Intel X25-M. No problems there either.

I have a 2006 Mac Pro Quad 2.66.

I didn't use the bootcamp installer, I just held down the option key on boot and booted from the DVD drive. I deleted all the partitions on the Intel X25-M and then just let it install.

To install an x64 OS (Vista or Windows 7) I had to create a modified boot DVD because of the issues of Vista and Win7 X64 having trouble with the EFI. Here are the instructions I used:

http://jowie.com/blog/post/2008/02/...t-from-Vista-x64-DVD-burnt-from-iso-file.aspx

Aaron

11. TechViking macrumors regular

Thanks NYCUBBY. I think you are the only one I have read about that managed to install windows on the X25-M on any mac hardware. It doesnt work for sure on any of the laptops or on the mac mini.

A question, how did you connect the X25 to the Pro? Just normally connect to a SATA "port" or by using some adapter? Since the X25 is 2.5 inch and I would believe that the pro was only built for 3.5 inch harddrives. Perhaps silly question but I dont have a Pro. =)

12. NYCubby macrumors newbie

TechViking

I purchased one of the MaxUpgrades "Sled" they make for Raptor drives and used it with the X25-M instead. Worked like a charm!

Just a note - they are updating the sled for the 2009 Mac Pro since the existing sled will not work. If you have the 2008 or earlier Mac Pro you can use the existing sled.

http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=180

Aaron