OCZ Vertex 3 & Early 2008 Macbook 4,1

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mt6272, Mar 29, 2012.

1. mt6272 macrumors newbie

2. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

Google it.

The results are not pretty at all - loads of issues reported on the OCZ forums.

3. mt6272 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did google my question but did not find anything pertaining to my exact model. When I cannot find the answers to my problem, I find a certain joy in the human interaction and active learning process of forums. It is always nice to know that this very post will be indexed in google and someone down the line will "google it" and find out what they need to know right here.

Thanks for your help.

4. saggel macrumors regular

Now read again what Robert told you! :rolleyes:

5. mt6272 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

I run a OCZ 60GB Vertex 3 SSD in my '09 5.2 MacBook! No issues! It blows.
    Plus, I previously installed the same drive in a '07 Black MacBook. Works perfectly fine!.

7. morhaven macrumors newbie

I have the same MBP 4.1 early 2008..

what did you end up getting?

8. mt6272 thread starter macrumors newbie

Note that my computer is simply called the Macbook 4.1, not the MacbookPro 4.1. That said, I believe our computers have very similar specs.

I am deciding to get the momentus xt 750gb. It has something like a 8gb ssd combined with a 750gb hd. I have read up bunches on it, and, to summarize: it's like a decent ssd made babies with a decent hd. Programs load up and the system restarts much faster than a mechanical drive, but it's quite an ssd nonetheless.

In my opinion, it's a good compromise for those wanting ssd-like speeds but also wanting the space without ridiculous price tag. I will follow up once I get it to let you know how it works out for me.

9. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

I apologise (sincerely!) for any upset I may have caused in my initial reply - It was simply a ham-fisted attempt to show many other people having issues with OCZ SSDs in MacBooks like ours.

With that said, I'm seriously interested in your comments about the Momentus XT 750gb - I find that current affordable SSDs - for me - top out at the 256gb mark - that's just not enough! My MacBook is my life! I have my iTunes, dabble with music creation, do a spot of vid editing, compile software... Mostly do net research and correspondence I'll admit. Having one's 'choons' in the cloud is all very well till you're somewhere with limited/no net connectivity!

Note to self: Check out the Momentus XT 750 some more...

Thanks and sorry!

-Rob