OCZ Vertex 3 in 2011 i7 iMac 27" before and after

Discussion in 'iMac' started by itsmrjon, Jul 7, 2011.

1. itsmrjon, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

itsmrjon macrumors regular

So I took the plunge and dropped a 240GB Vertex 3 into my iMac... first and foremost, not for the faint of heart... apple seems to really have it out for DIYers these days

let me say this was not a proper bench, as the computers been on fore a while and I have applications running in the background (as you can see based on the CPU/memory test results) for work at the time it was taken (I'll get around to a proper bench at a later date, when I don't have deadlines to meet)

Results are ridiculous as far as performance. It's a whole new monster for my line of work.

HD fan issue was avoided by installing the SSD into the second second slot (behind optibay) which is also SATA3, and leaving factory HDD in place.

See attachment for XBench results! Apparently I am now #10 on the XBench list :D

Attached Files:

2. itsmrjon, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

itsmrjon thread starter macrumors regular

Geekbench results... don't have a before

Attached Files:

3. bdonn macrumors newbie

So if I install a SSD in the second slot behind optibay I will not need to worry about fan control or overheating ? ie leave my factory 1TB drive in place and point OS / Apps to SSD?. Cheers

4. itsmrjon, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

itsmrjon thread starter macrumors regular

I have the OS installed on the SSD in the second hd slot (behind optibay) and im using the factory HDD strictly as storage...

OH OH OH and I forgot to mention, you need to purchase the sata/power cable from mac if your computer did not come with an SSD from the factory... It costs $15.40

For my configuration this does not cause the fan to go ape shizzles
    Although I will warn you that the Vertex 3 does not report the correct temp to the OS (per temperature monitor widget)... its just stuck at 128C (which I assure you it's not actually that hot)

5. itsmrjon thread starter macrumors regular

And finally before and after of AJA System Test...

Attached Files:

6. Lypsyl macrumors newbie

Could you attach a link to the cable you bought?

7. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

262F isn't hot? Coulda fooled me!

8. Dresevski macrumors 6502

I want to drop my Vertex 3 in soon as well...just want to make sure my cabling will work correctly. Please post the link?

9. itsmrjon thread starter macrumors regular

I purchased it through a local mac repair shop in person... I have no link to the product available. Sorry

I'll try to scan the net to see if I can find the cable

I believe there was a misunderstanding in what I wrote. As stated in the original post, the Vertex 3 is NOT reporting temp correctly. I am not saying 128C is not hot, I'm saying its not actually at 128C

10. bdonn macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies itsmrjon. I'm wondering through without the SSD having a sensor reading this could lead to some damage.... just a thought. gongrats on the install