OCZ Vertex 4 compatability with MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by enzojauregui, May 27, 2012.

1. enzojauregui macrumors member

Hi guys! I'm planning on buying an OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD for my MBP. Problem is my MBP is a Late 2008 model which has a NVidia MCP79 chipset. I've heard many problems arising from this such as frequent beachballs to the system being unable to recognize it. This was said to be because of having Sandforce controller or the SSD having a SATA III connection. I just want to know if any of you had an experience with this particular SSD.

By the way, I also want to know if this issue with Intel SSD 520 has been resolved or has a fix already. I was really considering it before.

Thanks guys! Hope to hear from you soon :)

2. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Which MBP do you have?

The issue is with the SATA cable being unshielded and getting distortion from radio interference. I think it only affects the 17" MBP.

3. A7ibaba macrumors regular

A7ibaba

OCZ Vertex 4 is based on Indilinx controller not SandForce and as i read it's pretty bugged atm but ocz is working on solutions.

4. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Can you fill me in on the 520 series problem? I have the 120gb and have not had a single problem within the timeframe of ownership.

5. enzojauregui thread starter macrumors member

I have 15" MBP, the one in my signature. Would you know if I would be able to use the Intel SSD 520? That actually was my first choice until I heard of the issues surrounding it.

I heard that the problem occurs only with MBPs with the NVidia MCP79 chipset. I think it would refer to models in 2009 and below, I'm not so sure with 2010 models though. They said they usually experience frequent beachballs and the SSD not performing up to par. There are also instances when it does no get recognized by the system. It is largely due to a bug it has with Sandforce controllers.

6. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

I had the Intel 520 in my 17" and it went all crazy. So I downgraded to the 320 since it is SATA 2 and would eliminate the problem.

My understanding of the concern was:

1. It only affected 17".
    2. It has since been corrected with a Firmware Update.