OCZ Vertex 4 stupid fast...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Orlandoech, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

My brother just got a 2012 13" MBP today, I installed a new Vertex 4 256GB SSD in it. This thing is insanely fast, faster than my rMBP SSD.

Here are some screens of the SSD speeds using Magic Disk Speed App. The SSD has the latest 1.5 firmware. I have always liked OCZ SSDs, Ive owned 5 different OCZ SSDs myself with no issues, ever. I highly recommend OCZ SSDs, even though people say they are unreliable, I myself have never had issues with any of the OCZ SSDs Ive owned.

I highly recommend the OCZ Vertex 4 SSD for anyone looking for an insanely fast SSD.

Attached Files:

2. RealEyes macrumors regular

Yeah, I had one in my windows machine and it flys.

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Wow those are the best combined results I've seen. Never checked my rmbp speeds though.

Btw geekbench is a RAM and processor benchmark so not relevant.

4. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Yes, but is it dependable?

I'd rather lose 50MB/sec read/write and use a Samsung 830/Intel 520/Crucial M4 and have reliability. With these other drives you have to update firmwares etc.

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Great specs, nice price, but updating the firmware appears to be a total PITA.

And it seems MBP owners are reporting a few horror stories on the reviews at Amazon and Newegg. Glowing reviews are almost matched with horror stories and reports of receiving dead units.

Power consumption on the larger units is reported to be more than a HDD and more of a drain upon battery life.

Glad you got it to work on your install, though.

6. 32KFJ macrumors regular

32KFJ

my ssd (m4) just writes with 260 mb/s.... :eek:

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yeah, same here. But I'd suspect you'd have to be Mr. Data to tell a difference unless you're moving a whole bunch of data around at once. Eh....

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I also would go with a Samsung or Plextor.
    The speed difference is unnoticeable and the Vertex 4 shows rather poor power consumption.

9. SlyMac macrumors 6502

SlyMac

Those number are nice but I'd rather stick with the reliability of the 830.

10. JTToft macrumors 68040

Yes, the numbers are pretty nice, but they are barely higher than the Samsung 830's. I calculate a difference of 15 MB/s or 3.5 % between the two in average read/write speed. The 830 is faster in read while the Vertex 4 is faster in write.

With a difference that insignificant, I'd definitely choose the Samsung 830 for the better reliability and compatibility. In fact, one might argue that the higher read speed of the 830 benefits the user more than the higher write speed of the Vertex 4...

11. 49JC macrumors member

I agree with OP. Just threw one of these in my 2010 mbp and needless to say took care of my need to upgrade to the new iMac we've been waiting for. Havent had any issues with it so far.

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Samsung 830 is slightly slower on the right and about the same on the read. And much better quality.

13. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Like I said, I've owned multiple OCZ SSDs with no issues. So reliability is an invalid argument for me.

Although I think the 830 is. Good drive, it also has failed on users lol. Too many Samsung nut huggers.

14. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I have 3 samsung HDDs and 2 Samsung SSDs (3 if you count the one in my rMBP) and ALL have served me very well...and have been fast, reliable and most of all, quiet (HDDs I mean).

They are my favorite brand of storage, by far!

I did get an OCW enclosure for my Samsung 470 SSD tho..and it is quite nice!

15. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Nice! I'm not denying Samsung have nice SSDs but people act like they are impossible to fail and I've seen multiple 830s fail.

16. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

People like the 830 because it's basically the same drive used by Apple, so you can safely turn on TRIM and not have to worry about excessive beachballing or any of the other potential hiccups that you might experience with a drive like the Vertex 4. Maybe TRIM works fine with the V4, then again maybe it doesn't -- the point is that with the 830 you know for sure that everything works, and that peace of mind is what attracts people to it.

I'm content with the speed too... better reads than the V4!

[​IMG]

17. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

2010 MBP it doesn't really matter as the SATA 2 will limit it to about half the performance anyway.

18. 49JC macrumors member

Yeah you're right. I do still plan on upgrading my machine in the very future and now I'll be ready with this. But my itch to pull the trigger wont be that bad. :D

19. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I'm aware of this, but I chose the v4 for my bro. Samsung do make good SSDs. Those are. Ice numbers too!

20. JTToft macrumors 68040

- You speak as if this is somehow subjective. The fact of the matter is that the Samsung 830 gets consistently better reviews than the Vertex 4. In fact, between 25 and 66 % better reviews on Newegg.
    And if your speed benchmark is anything to go by, the difference in performance is 3.5 %.

So, the question is, which would you choose: The drive with 3.5 % better performance or the drive with at least 25 % better reviews?
    In addition, the Samsung 830 is Anandtech's recommended drive as well as Apple's choice in their notebook computers.

I'm glad that you've been happy with OCZ, and I'm not trying to claim that the 830 is perfect, but the facts are there, and they are not "invalid" just because you haven't had any issues with your drive.

21. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

I've also got an OCZ Vertex 4 in my MacBook Pro, an absolutely awesome SSD. Highly recommended

22. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Not at all, but Samsung and Intel have higher standards. They are much larger companies than Sandisk, etc. and would not want to tarnish their reputation with bad products.

I still have a Samsung 160GB drive somewhere being used daily. No issues. Can't say the same for WD, Seagate, etc.

Of course, all electronic parts fail, no one is saying Samsung doesn't fail, just saying that Samsung builds everything themselves and they are trusted more.

Would rather lose a few MB's off the read and gain reliability.

I've done a lot of research on the Samsung 830 and have read nothing but positive results by hundreds of users.

Other SSDs have many complaints, especially DOA's and issues with always being forced to update the firmware.

The Samsung 830 only has had 1 firmware update so far and that was almost a year ago.

----------

This. Apple uses the exact same SSDs in their rMBPs (albeit in the mSATA form factor).

The price difference is not that big anyways, I would always pick Samsung, Intel or Crucial over anything else.

23. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

Pretty much all SSDs on the market have had firmware updates to bring performance improvements or bug fixes.

Intel, often hailed as having the most reliable SSDs, had one of the more serious bugs I can think of in recent years with their 320 series of drives:

The other drives you mention have not been without issue either:
    Personally I have been running a Patriot Wildfire in my main system for over 18 months now with zero issues. It’s a drive that uses 16 chips of lower capacity NAND rather than 8 chips of higher capacity NAND, in order to improve performance through parallelism, making it the fastest drive you could buy at the time, and one which still holds its own against most of the drives you can buy today.

24. Orlandoech thread starter macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Lol