OCZ Vertex 4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ahdickter, May 22, 2012.

1. ahdickter macrumors 6502

I know that the OCZ Vertex 3 was a flop for many people, but has anyone installed a Vertex 4? OCZ now has their own controller instead of using a SandForce controller. It's between this or the Crucial M4.

2. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I want to know this too, also I want to know if the 512GB model is compatible as I read it uses two sets of 256GB storage chips in RAID 0?

3. Themegamacman macrumors member

Nice thread idea. I'm looking at getting two of these 256GB Vertex 4 drives from Amazon to set them up in a striped RAID array, as well as 16GB Komputerbay RAM to make the ultimate MBP (In my opinion). I'm definitely gonna wait it out to see what everybody makes of the Vertex 4 drives, but they seem pretty solid and the 5 year warranty almost has me sold. I think once I make these upgrades my Late 2011 15" MBP will be good to go for a very long time! :)

4. EastcoastSix13 macrumors newbie

How was it a flop? Tons of people including myself are running a vertex 3 in a macbook with no problems.

5. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I was going to get an Intel 320, but haven't had the money, but I will be soon able to afford a decent 512GB SSD and the 5 year warranty has got me very interested, as well as the Vertex performance reputation! The Vertex 4 is getting vey good reviews, but I also need to wait to see if the new MacBook Pro's will take a 9.3mm drive as I'll be getting one of those in the future. If they do take the 9.3mm standard then I am going to press the buy button!

And in the UK The Samsung 830 512GB and the Vertex 4 512GB drives are the same price give or take ten pounds, yet one has the 5 year warranty, the other 3 years!

6. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

7. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Ditto

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I hear that the Sandforce are able to be used right out of the box.

9. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

256gb for under $300!? Ssd prices prices have fallen quite a bit. Good news.

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

What SSD cannot be used with out of the box. A quick format of maybe 5 seconds and they all run on whatever OS. Only external drives come pre-formatted, which would really only take seconds.

ad Vertex 4
    They got the controller now and it is fast. They can fix all the problems much easier than with sandforce. Also all those non sandforce controllers seem much simpler and fixes aren't quite so problematic. Sandforce just seems more complex considering how long it took even Intel to fix all kinks.
    Now since Intel dealt with the 520 I think even Sandforce is a quite safe bet. Sooner or later all the firmware fixes make it into all other firmwares.

What I don't like about the Octane and the Vertex 4 seems no exception is the power consumption. Great drive for a desktop but for a notebook others are a better choice. Idle 1.25W is double of an M4 and most Sandforce drives. And triple of Samsung.

11. Themegamacman macrumors member

Yeah the 5 year warranty is what pretty much does it for me. I'm just gonna wait for any kinks to be worked out and for the price to drop a little bit before I buy since there's no way I need it yet since my computer is plenty fast. Maybe in a year or so when prices are super low I'll do that RAID setup I mentioned earlier. So excited lol.

12. jbzcar macrumors regular

I got my 256gb OCZ Octane for $199 last week. I absolutely would not pay any more than that for a 256gb at this point.

13. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I have the Intel 520 180GB SSD in my Windows PC and I have not had any issues. I heard good things with Samsung 830's also. I have not heard anything positive with OCZ SSD's and kingston SSD's.

14. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Has anyone used a Vertex 4 yet? Two threads on them and no replies from any guinea pigs lol!

15. davidmc33, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012

davidmc33 macrumors newbie

Installation was a breeze on Mid 2011 Mac mini

I installed the 256GB Vertex 4 on a Mid 2011 Mac Mini (2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB). Bought the Vertex 4 on Amazon for about $210 in July 2012.

The hardest part of this upgrade was taking apart the mac mini and putting it back together again... and even that wasn't very hard (as long as you have some mini torx screwdrivers). Upon booting, it came up saying that the drive was not recognized and it took me right into the Disk Utility - which allowed me to create a partition with no problem. No fuss no muss. No more trouble than installing a SATA drive. I rebooted using the handy dandy Lion installation usb drive I created to reinstall a fresh version of Mac OS X 10.7.4. And now I am enjoying an even faster mini!

I've got the 512GB Vertex 4 arriving soon... and that will be going in my 15" MacBook Pro (6,2) from 2010, i7 2.66 GHz, 8 GB ram. I'll post again once I've completed that installation.

16. davidmc33 macrumors newbie

Working on mid-2010 MBP

A few months ago I installed the 512gb Vertex 4 SSD into my mid-2010 MacBook Pro. I went from Snow Leopard on the old drive to Lion on the SSD drive. It was not an upgrade, I installed a fresh copy of Lion onto the SSD. Everything installed smoothly, but sometimes the machine would not boot properly. It would just sit at a blank gray screen. No spinning wheel, no apple logo... just nothing. But usually, if I booted from the old drive into Snow Leopard and then rebooted on the SSD, it would boot successfully more times than not. Although sometimes I had to do this a couple times before it would boot successfully... which was too unreliable. I almost reverted to a spinning hard drive due to this inconsistent behavior, but luckily I persisted a little bit longer. While running on the SSD the system popped up the software update which wanted to install some sort of eprom update (I didn't capture the details), but after loading that update - everything has been much more stable. I believe it hung once or twice while booting since that update, but for the past couple months I have been running (and booting) with no issues.

I'm just sad that the mid-2010 MBP doesn't support the Sata III, so I cannot take full advantage of the speed of the Vertex 4. But it still runs impressively fast.

17. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

See my posts

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1442840

OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD - $199
    Write: 472.2 MB/s
    Read: 429.9 MB/s
    [​IMG]
    FIRMWARE: Easily updated for the Mac with their MacTools http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?103483-MAC-ONLY-Firmware-update and can be updated via Bootcamp following these instructions http://techarcana.net/2011/11/03/updating-ssd-firmware-on-macbook-pro/

RMA: I setup my RMA via http://www.ocztechnology.com/support. Quick email response and RMA creation, OCZ did NOT ask for proof of purchase or receipt to validate product was still under warranty. OCZ offers an Advance RMA upon *request only (*please note). They took my credit/debit card info and shipped me a brand new, sealed Vertex 4, which arrived 3 business days later. Once the new drive arrived, I sent back my "defective" drive.

18. 262Runnr macrumors regular

262Runnr

I don't know about the vertex 4's but I've had 2 OCZ Agility 3 ssd's in 2 separate computers and they work flawlessly.
    I just recently ordered this 512GB SSD Vertex 4 from Newegg for $359 but it seems that they just changed the price again...keeps fluctuating. Really looking forward to installing it.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227820