OCZ Vertex in 2009 13" MBP - Bad choice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chupa Chupa, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I was planning on getting the Intel X25M SSD but then thought the OCZ Vertex 128GB would be more practical. However, reading some posts here and a lot over at the OCZ forum it looks like the Vertex is problematic in the 2009 MPBs in regard to install and sleeping.

So I'm wondering if these issues are pervasive or if the people w/ these problems are random, maybe having to do w/ something specific to their machine.

I'm not in the mood to tinker or trouble shoot, I just want to install and go. So is the OCZ going to be a safe choice or should I go back to the Intel?

2. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

I have the OCZ Vertex 250 in my 17 2009 MBP and have no issues at all, although I have read of people having sleep issues like you mentioned. I think the latest drive firmware addresses this issue, although updating to the latest firmware would most definitely fall under "tinkering."

3. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I can deal w/ updating firmware. That's just a one shot deal. By tinkering I mean doing tedious trial and error tests. Of course the 17" has similar, but still different guts than the 13" so I'd love to hear from some 13" owners w/ no issues.

4. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

2009 13" MBP? Are there 13" MBPs from any other year?

5. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Apple released a 13in Macbook Pro at WWDC this year.

6. maxb macrumors member

maxb

I have a Vertex 120 and I can't install OSX on it... it always hangs before the end. This is before and after EFI 1.7 update.

7. relativist macrumors regular

what's the bad choice, the mbp or the ocz? an argument could be made on either one. Personally, I am not going to upgrade to the MBP like I had wanted to because of the problems your bringing up.

8. antskip macrumors regular

OCZ make a range of SSD's. Along with the Vertex range, they offer the Summit in 60GB, 120GB and 250GB. They use the Samsung controller that is stock for SSD's for many notebook ranges, with the added bonus of a 120MB cache - much more affordable than the Intel, but a more "conservative" choice than the Vertex. I really like mine! :):)For a recent review of modern SSD's check out: http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=799&pageid=7

9. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Newegg had the Corsair P128 on sale for $299 A/R last week so I decided to go with that one. It uses the same Samsung controller and my own benchmarks show its comparable to the Vertex, maybe just a tad slower. However the advertised speed of the P128 is 200MB/sec for read and write, and I'm not getting anything near those numbers. More like 150MB/sec. I'm not complaining those. It's plenty fast and I'm loving PS3 launching in 10 seconds.