OCZ Vertex Poll

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JGO, Apr 6, 2009.

1. JGO macrumors member

Greetings,

I am waiting on delivery of a Vertex drive for my Macbook Pro. While waiting on delivery I have been following some posts on OCZ's support forums (in particular: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53183 ).
    Now I am curious. Does this product have major issues in the Macbook, or do the problems described in the OCZ forum represent a small percentage of Mac users? Let's see what the numbers are for users in this forum.

(Wish I knew how to create a real poll within the forum.)

Post if you are using the Vertex without any problems or issues.

3 with no issues
    1 with no issues on replacement drive

Post if you are using the Vertex and have experienced problems.

2 with problems

2. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

I have a Vertex 250gb in my 17" UMBP and have had no problems. I use VM Fusion and bootcamp with VISTA 64 without issues as well.

Partition the drive as GUID and you should be good.

3. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

I've experienced some stuttering when reinstalling OSX and the latest updates (the big 10.5.6 update specifically). Not sure if it's just my drive, but I'll be sending it in for RMA soon.

BTW, i have the 30GB with 1275 firmware

4. DaveOZ macrumors regular

I have a Vertex 250 in my MPro 15" Unibody.

NO issues.

Original Firmware.
    Windows XP on bootcamp partition.

It's very fast and very quiet.

I inserted the drive. Booted of Install DVD, used DiskUtility to create partition and format GUID. Restored from backup (Time machine). Then used bootcamp utility to create XP partition.

As I said, No issues and it been in there for 3 weeks.

5. magamo macrumors 6502

Maybe I shouldn't post in this thread because I installed X25-M, not Vertex, but Indilinx (the firmware maker of Vertex) said they were able to reproduce the mac related issue in 1 out of 10 trials and were currently fixing it. Also the OCZ guy on the official forum said they would hopefully address the problem at the next FW update:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=361981&postcount=1

By the way, I also checked the largest online mac community in Japan where several people tried Vertex, and it seems no one has experienced the hibernation issue.

6. bugout macrumors 6502a

My first 250 vertex was a dud.. constant lock ups...

Newegg replaced it and its been perfect for 12d 7h and 50 minutes since I turned it on after installing :)

7. emt1 macrumors 65816

8. JGO thread starter macrumors member

My computer is the 17" UMBP. I have a second drive in place of the optical drive. Despite a bootcamp partition on the second drive, I am unable to update the Vertex firmware from 1199 to 1275. I have followed the instructions, but Vista does not detect the Vertex drive. I think it has something to to with the hardware in the MBP. The odd thing is that, when booted in OSX, disk utility does detect the Vertex ("barefoot ROM - something like that). Too bad they don't have flashing software for OS X. I guess that is up to the company that makes the controller.

I did partition the drive as GUID. I guess I need to find a PC to do the firmware update.

Are you running the 1199 firmware?

9. duky macrumors 6502

I have 120GB Vertex, works pretty much flawlessly in my MB. Haven't noticed any issues thus far though I don't use my laptop as my primary machine so perhaps I'm not the best judge. Only problem is that their support doesn't seem so Mac-friendly. They're getting better about it, but when I brought up the hibernation issue a month/two ago they did nothing to help me and now all of a sudden it's a big deal. Supposedly they've fixed it with the new firmware but I wouldn't know as they have no Mac flashing tool and I don't know where I can flash it.

I'm on 1199.

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

To the people with no issues - do you regularly sleep your Macs?

I (and lots others) have issues with sleeping the Mac and then, upon waking, about 15 minutes later the system will hard lock. This is not easily reproducible (it only seems to happen 1 out of 20 sleep/wakes) but it always occurs ~15 minutes after waking.

11. JGO thread starter macrumors member

Since making this post I have had the vertex in my 17" UMBP with both 1199 and 1.10. I have not had any problems with waking up or lock ups. I sleep/wake the computer about three times each day. The longest period of sleep is probably about 20 minutes.

12. ihailey macrumors newbie

13. twinturbov6 macrumors newbie

Any updates with the Vertex and new OCZ and Mac sata firmware?

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I have had no problems at all since the upgrade to 10.5.7. So much so that I've stopped reading the OCZ forums altogether. But last time I checked, the 10.5.7 update didn't fix the issue for everyone.

15. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

I have a 120GB Vertex that works in my Mini fine, but does not work in my MBP with any software revision.

Im not giving OCZ a pass on this either. OCZ!!! We need a damn updater that works in OSX.

Good Luck

16. fltman macrumors member

major problems

3 out of 5 OCZ (2x250 and 1x120) Vertex drives has simply stopped working. They just stopped and never recovered. :(

17. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I have two Vertex 120s in my March '09 uMBP. No problems with either one.
    *knock wood*

John