OCZ Vertex Price Drop at Newegg

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emt1, Mar 10, 2009.

1. emt1 macrumors 65816

Hey all, I had a price alert set for most SSDs at New Egg. The 60GB Vertex is now available for $225 after a mail-in rebate. VERY TEMPTING. It looks like almost all OCZ SSDs have a mail in rebate now!

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

OCZ aren't the best SSDs out there. Infact, there was a 64GB SSD for <$100 a while back.

3. emt1 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm talking about OCZ's Vertex series. I haven't found anyone saying anything bad about the Vertex series anywhere. Read up.

"The new OCZ Vertex solid state drive is one of the most impressive SSDs we have tested to date. I know that there is much excitement in the hardware community about this drive and for good reason: it uses a brand new controller from a brand new company and as such performance was an unknown. Many in the community have been billing it as the first true competitor to Intel's X25-M line of mainstream MLC drives and it indeed lives up to that status."

-http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=670&type=expert&pid=14

4. MikhailT macrumors 601

Yes, several of their JMicron-based SSDs sucks balls big time. However, Vertex does not have JMicron because it uses a new controller that seems to be very competitive against Intel SSDs.

5. xoggyux macrumors 6502

64gb is too low, the system needs at least 15GB for files and another 20-30GB free for swap files, that lest you with less than 20GB for your own applications and a few documents you might want to have with you all the time. I'd not cripple my MBP with less than 100GB.
    Before you commit yourself to buy that drive read my post:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=661948&highlight=ssd+128gb+skill
    this drive offers twice the capacity for the same price, it does uses the JMicron controller tough, but as a plus side i have read no mac users complaining about stuttering so far (hence I think it might be a windows problem mainly, though it could be not many mac users are trying them :confused:) anyway yeah is not (at least in papers) as fast, but it has twice the storage, anyway is plenty of fast and will give you time until the really good ones become affordable (e.g. the intel ones...)

6. emt1 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have 15GB in use on my hard drive, and that's with just about everything I'd need on it.

7. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

You can get the 120 Vertex for 349 after MIR fro MWave right now.

8. emt1 thread starter macrumors 65816

That's interesting, it seems like OCZ is letting MWave offer a better rebate than Newegg.

9. MikhailT macrumors 601

different people have different needs.

even after one year using my 17" mbp, i only manage to use less than 50GB and thats with 10-15gb of downloads that i haven't managed to offload to my 1TB external drives.

10. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

Not only that, MWave sells on eBay. So, you will get an additional $32 with 8% MS Live cashback bringing the price down to $318!

11. xoggyux macrumors 6502

Yes I understand that, in fact I myself use 20G only (though just because I had it available at the moment I put some MP3s to easy up iTunes but I really did not need to do this however.)

The thing is that MBP are machines that are intended to be useful for a couple of years, and though today you can live with 64G that doest mean 6 months from now you'd be able to (maybe OS X doesnt change but MS word might, safari might, itunes might, remember 5 years ago web browsers were 5mb today they are 300mb++ and the plugins ETC) so playing safe (128GB+) is advisable
    Of course you can always buy now upgrade months from now, but for $200++ i'd like something more permanent.

12. MikhailT macrumors 601

SSD technology is still growing (probably going to follow Moore's Law). We don't know what we'll be looking at 6 months from now with different controllers coming out from Sandisk, Toshiba, Samsung, Intel and so on. I did not buy the SSD with intentions to keep it more than 6-12 months.

Like i say, I already used my MBP for over a year, never used more than 50GB. Everything is offloaded into my external drives. If i use more, it'll be going on external drives, not my system drive.

13. MikhailT macrumors 601

For people who are wondering, techtreasure and multiwavevideo are the mwave ebay stores.

Cancelled my order with newegg and got it from Mwave's ebay store with 32$ cashback and 50$ rebate knocking it down to 333$ for me. (insured it and changed to 2 day shipping for 16$ extra)

yea i know i keep saying 60gb is enough but doubling the storage for less than 90 bucks? hell yea.

14. xoggyux macrumors 6502

thats the spirit, also keep in mind you are not talking about 60G but ~50 after format...

15. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

Glad I could help! :D

16. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Are you sure?
    I saw someones SystemProfiler for his 120GB Vertex SSD and it said 121.28GB available.
    I think I read on the OCZ website that they put the real capacity (1k=1024) on the Box and not the fake one (1k=1000) and also they factor in those SSD wear protection stuff.
    So actually those 120GB Vertex are 128GB SSD (60GB are 64GB).

17. MikhailT macrumors 601

That's right, it is 64GB, with most of the space reserved for wear leveling and many other functions.

It should be 59GB after format.

18. zergworld macrumors newbie

One reason to go for the bigger drive is that the ssd controller spreads writes across the drive in a way that the performance behavior degrades as the cells get used. This is confirmed in an anandtech article. One could occasionally do a secure erase and re-image the disk, but you will prolong the life of you disk and delay the performance drain with more available disk space

19. MikhailT macrumors 601

More price drop. 350$ with 20$ MIR for 120GB for 330$.

Sighs. Thank god i went with mwave for 50$ mail in rebate, otherwise i would be a bit pissed that there was 50$ price drop within a week.