Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
I have been tidying up my workspace and just moved my mini to this position from the corner of the desk which has dropped my wifi speed considerably from my BT router which is 9 feet with one internal wall away - like halved it so not getting more than 55mb now (although the upload hasn't changed at 70) - my iPhone 14 gets 190mb in the same room (on 5ghz) so something aint right - annoyingly the smart hub (really) from BT doesnt let me assign different names to the 2.4 and 5ghz bands so I cant run them both and connect the phones to the 5ghz and the mini to the 2.4 for a consistent speed either so at the moment I am paying for 1/2 gig speeds but only able to use 2.4ghz and getting 60mb in the house - Funny enough I can use my iPhone as a wifi hotspot and get 70 ! (On 5ghz I wont be doing that)

I will have a bit more of a play with the location of the mini and tbh 55 is fine ish as I dont really want to get a home plug or wifi extender if I can help it but come on BT where is the new Wifi 6 router you were talking about 2 years ago ?

Any way if you lot have any ideas ?

Attachments

• IMG_8073.jpg
    IMG_8073.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_8072.jpg
    IMG_8072.jpg
    601.6 KB · Views: 40

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Was the Mini in the stand before? Because that looks like a potential point of interference, also I had an issue with an older HDMI cable looped behind the Mini killing wifi.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
The Mini's wifi antenna is in its base. If you are placing it on a metal mesh - a 'faraday cage' - then its not surprising you get reduced performance.

Reactions: meson

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Yeah the mouse is going soon as I have a kensington trackball I bought last year....and I will get a black leather cover for the desk too.

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Yeah I managed to snag an actual BT mesh extender for not very much so hoping to get my lounge wifi speeds of 250 plus later this week.

b.lam

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2010
Had a similar issue with my Mac Mini just recently: switching from DSL to fiber meant I had to move the wifi access point and it was no longer in the line of sight of the Mini. Throughput and signal quality dropped significantly (in both 2.4 and 5GHz) and I couldn't get full speed of my internet access any longer. MacBook and phone at the same location have much better signals, so the wifi antennas of the Mini are really bad/outdated.

The solution was to get a vertical stand for the Mini. I played around a little bit with different positions and with a vertical position I was able to get a much better bandwith and the wifi icon now shows all bars again. It's not perfect, but sufficient enough to make use of my 100MBit internet connection. Even standing behind the display the signal strength is good (beforehand it was sitting flat on my wooden desk next to the display), I'm now happy with this solution, since I also got more space on my desk.

Last edited:

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
I had something similar a while back that started under Sonoma, but far worse. The fix for me was to install power line adaptors and bypass wifi entirely for connecting the mini to the internet, though it is still needed forAirDrop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.