Odd 5S display... "issue?"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by viperGTS, Nov 22, 2013.

1. viperGTS, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

viperGTS macrumors 65816

I experienced something quite odd with my iPhone 5S.

I was watching YouTube videos, and I happened to come across a very funny Kevin Hart clip (he's a comedian). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mANr2ode-n8 (Warning: profanity)

I was watching the video, and closed my McTube app at about 1:45, and I noticed that my entire home screen looked entirely washed out! Everything looked seriously faded for about 2 seconds until the screen came back to normal. I can repeat the issue too, so it's not like it was a random occurrence. I can keep applying the same effect to my screen! In fact, you don't even need to watch the video. I just discovered that if you leave the video paused at 0:00, close the controls, and bring them back up, you will notice the washed-out effect. Quickly go back to the home screen and you will notice that everything looks washed out for a little bit.

Curious, I go back to my 4S, watching the same exact clip and leaving the app at exactly the same time - no washed out effect.

Is this due to a poorer quality screen in the 5S, or just an effect of using a different type of screen (I know the screens of the 4S and 5S differ significantly)?

I think an issue similar to this was affecting the 4th generation iPad, something about watching a video at a certain part and then quitting the app, only for the display to behave oddly.

Found the link pertaining to the iPad: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1484132&highlight=serious+ipad+display+flaw

The exact same thing happens on my 5S!

UPDATE: This is starting to happen with other videos that I normally watch, and I don't remember the issue occurring like it is now. Should I just get a replacement? :(

2. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

114 views and no reply... Has anyone else experienced this? Or perhaps test the video I sent a link to? You don't HAVE to watch it... Just pause at 0:00. You have to be using McTube, a free app, to do this.

3. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

Last try, can anyone else replicate this effect on their 5S/5/5C? If not, is there a term to describe what is happening? I'd like to investigate more on the issue.

4. eddyecb macrumors regular

This sometimes happens to me when i view a video on Facebook, after I exit the video, the whole screen looks completely washed out for a few seconds, doesn't happen all the time tho and i've no idea what causes it.

iPhone 5s aswell btw.

5. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks a bunch for your reply! I felt like my thread was being completely ignored :p

So, I'm guessing this is more of a "feature" than anything? It doesn't happen all the time for me either, but it's still weird...

Do you have a term to describe it?

6. eddyecb macrumors regular

Hmm im baffled to be honest as why it happens, ha! Oh, another thing i've noticed is (for me anyway) it only seems to happen when i have my brightness down a bit.

7. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

This happens to me, too. Though I'm not sure what causes it - it doesn't happen every time however. Curious, do you have the motion feature off? Because I know that instead of animations, it does a "fade" instead when exiting programs.

8. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

Happens to me at all brightness levels :/
    I have reduce motion enabled, but the same thing happens when it's disabled. :eek: