Odd Airport Connection Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeremybuff, Mar 19, 2009.

1. jeremybuff macrumors regular

Whenever I start up my MBP or wake it up from sleep, my airport card will connect to my network, but the Internet will not be available. The only way to get the Internet back is to click the "Network Diagnosis" button in Safari and follow the steps. When the diagnosis tests the Internet, it says the Internet, dns, etc is not connected. However, in the end it never finds a problem and says the Internet is working fine.

After I get to that point, all I have to do is close out of the diagnosis window and then the Internet is working fine. What's going on here? I've already set my Airport card to connect before firewire, ethernet and bluetooth. My home network is the only one in range..

I greatly appreciate any suggestions. I'm using ONYX to repair my permissions, rebuild, etc. I don't know if that will help, but I am doing it anyway. I also saw a different thread suggesting to delete a few pfiles, which I did and then restarted. No difference.

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yea wait and see what ONYX says. do other computers in your house have the same problem. if they do try resetting the modem then the router. if not at least you know that its your computer and not the network

3. jeremybuff thread starter macrumors regular

I just finished the Onyx cycle, and even ran Mac OS X's own Disk Utility. Nothing's wrong.. and the problem still exists. All of the other computers, desktops and laptops, macs and pcs, work fine on the network.

Would clearing stuff like the pram help? I couldn't imagine that they would. I experienced this on my MacBook Air... but now my new MBP and my girlfriend's MB both are having issues. It's only the Macs.. nothing else.

4. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

trash following:

in library/prefs/syst/config, these:

com.appleairport.preferences.plist
    network interfaces.plist
    preferences.plist
    com.apple.nat.plist

restart ...

5. jeremybuff thread starter macrumors regular

That's exactly what I did earlier, and just did again, but to no avail. I cannot figure out what in the world is causing this issue. Thanks for the reply!

6. chgojcs macrumors member

I'm having a similar issue, just noticed today, and I can't figure out how to fix it. It seems like it takes a good few minutes for the connection to actually kick in.
    The only thing I know is that I recently had my logic board replaced, so that could be causing the issue. Other than that, I don't know.

If I figure it out, I'll keep you posted.

7. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

maybe thrash also all caches, in lib/caches and user/lib/caches ..

otherwise try to run 10.5.6 combo update again.

if nothing helps you will have to reinstall osX and NOT migrate the network settings.

8. jeremybuff thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, it seems that I have fixed it... granted, it's only been "fixed" for one day, so it could come back.

Here is what I did:

1) Ran every single thing ONYX can do,
    2) In addition to ONYX, I repaired permissions with Disk Utility,
    3) Deleted my system configuration plist folder and restarted
    4) Cleared my PRAM.

Only after I cleared my PRAM did I see the issue subside. Hopefully it will be fixed now, if not, I'll update.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Usually with network problems (using AirPort specifically) PRAM usually fixes the problem.

10. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

oh man another issue to talk about in your next apple store visit if you cant figure it out that is.

11. jeremybuff thread starter macrumors regular

Good news, since I cleared the PRAM, the Internet has connected upon restart or awake every time except once. Hopefully it's fixed..

12. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

How do you clear the pram? And what is pram? Im saving the same problem and thats seems like the fix

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I had a similar problem earlier in the week. Ended up removing the wireless connection and reinstalling it and it's worked quite well since....

14. jeremybuff thread starter macrumors regular