Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lidocayne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
I have a brand new Airport Extreme. It is hooked up to a router, and set up in bridge mode. What's odd is that I can connect to the AE and it works fine from my Macbook Pro, but when I try to connect to it with my iPhone 5s, it won't issue it an IP address/won't connect. I can't make sense of why it would work with the Macbook Pro, but not with the iPhone 5s. Any insight is appreciated!

Thank you!

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
It sounds like you took your Main router ( directly connected yo the modem) and have NAT turn which Apple calls "Bridged Mode". So with NAT turned off your ISP sells you 1 IP. That us why people get home routers!

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
The general great practice in home routing is always have the closet router to the ISP modem should be doing NAT in any router after that first router should have NAT turned off (that's "Bridged Mode" in Apple routers).

In cheap home routers NAT is tied to DHCP. So if your ISP rents you a combined modem/wireless device. So if this this is your case then go into that ISP rent modem/ router and turn off the wireless. The in your AirPort Extreme should be put into "Bridged Mode".

Then call you ISP and see if you could buy a proper modem ( usually you can find a list of approved modems somewhere deep in their support pages) and stop paying rent fees for that old piece of technology( that is what that ISP device most likely is).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.