Odd alternate spelling suggestion, is this an easter egg?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iam99x, Dec 5, 2007.

1. iam99x macrumors newbie

I'm a new Mac user, and I recently discovered something curious about the Mac Os X spelling and grammar checker.

On my Macbook (late '07, Santa Rosa) "ibeauuuutifuuuul" is offered as a corrected spelling suggestion when right clicking beauuuutifuuuul.

here is an image of the oddity:
    [​IMG]

I initially discovered this while sending a message to my girlfriend.

I swear I never added ibeauuuutifuuuul to my dictionary! I initially thought it to be an easter egg of some kind... self-deprecating humor by Apple in reference to the "i"-naming craze. I thought perhaps all extremely misspelled words would be given the option to add and "i" to the front. But I haven't had it happen for any other words and I can't find anything about it on google searches... does this happen for anybody else?!

Somebody please prove I'm not crazy and confirm that this happens on their Mac as well! One final note: I know it's not an application specific spell checker and that it's the Mac OS one because this occurs in safari, mail, etc.

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I was ready to tell you you're crazy, but I get the same thing. 3 or 5 u's doesn't work though...weird!

3. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

ibeauuuutifuuuul. Damn, that's strange. I don't think it's an easter egg, though, more like a glitch.

4. iam99x thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it's nice to know it happens on other people's macs too.

This is such a weird and random thing. Anybody else find any other oddities like this in spellchecker? Is there someway to open a system file and see a complete list of spellchecker recognized words?