Odd Battery Behavior...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by P Mentior, Jun 20, 2009.

1. P Mentior macrumors regular

For the past couple of days I have been experiencing some really weird battery behavior. It started when I was on a 3 hour road trip. I left my house with my Penryn 15" MBP at a full charge. When I got to my destination I found that my battery was now at 30%. I immediately checked my batter in the system profiler and found that it's full charged capacity was around 4400mAh and that its condition said 'Check Battery'. Since it was after hours I had to wait to call apple until the next morning. When I did call the tech had me reset the system management (turn it off, take out batter and hold power button for 10 sec). When I restarted The full charged capacity was back at 5400mAh and condition was good. Now here is where it started to get weird. a few hours later I saw that the capacity was again around 4200mAh with a 'check battery' indicator. I called again and the tech told me that everything was within spec but everything I have read here says that having a battery under 80% before 300 cycles is a problem. (I'm at 138 cycles). I have been recording what the battery's capacity read at for the last day and a half and it keeps jumping between 5400mAh and 4200mAh and sometimes says Check battery. Any Ideas on what might be the problem? I'm guessing its just a bad battery.

Thanks,
    P Mentior

2. thecheda macrumors 6502

Battery Problem

A replacement calls. I received a new battery after I abused my first, and I have babied it since. Fully charging it, and then letting it drain down to 1% before charging it again. Battery has never has been healthier.