Odd battery issue 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by roanmy, Aug 11, 2015.

1. roanmy macrumors newbie

So I bought a used 4S and I never expected the battery to be great, but it's acting really weird. It shuts itself down sometimes when it's under 41%, mostly while trying to open snapchat or something smilier, but also while watching Netflix. Then it says it's out of battery, but when I plug it in and it turns on, it has the same percentage as when it shut down.
    Also, at one point it had 25%, then I plugged the AC in and it said 31% right away. After I unplugged it again, it went down to 21%.

My main question is, does this sound like the battery would be replaced, a software issue or something else entirely?

2. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

First things first, have you done a factory restore?

3. Broadus macrumors 6502a

It sounds like the battery needs replacing to me. I bought my 4S in October 2011, and I just replaced the battery for the second time.

4. roanmy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it has been through a factory reset. It's not a huge problem that the battery is bad, I just want consistency and be able to trust the percentage. :p

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You battery has started to fail. Keep an eye on it as chances are it'll expand next.

6. roanmy thread starter macrumors newbie

So... Get the battery replaced? The reason why I'm asking is that getting it replaced really isn't expensive, but I don't want to unless it'll actually help. :p

7. jaypr macrumors member

Sounds to me like the battery has been replaced, but with a non genuine Apple battery.

I did something similar with my sister-in-laws iPhone 4s battery a few weeks ago. After I'd replaced the battery the percentage is all over the place. The battery lasts much longer now. But it'll stay on 98% for 18 hours without moving or it'll die at 15% without warning.

She's happy as it lasts days now instead of hours, but I have know idea why it is like this after the battery was replaced.

8. roanmy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, there's a repair shop here offering a new OEM battery relatively cheap. Think it'll solve my issue?

9. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I suspect it would. Like I said, I've done it twice and mine's still going strong.

10. nordique macrumors 6502a

Yep sounds like battery needs replacing. Usually if you've restored everything and reset everything, once it turns off at a certain power level (like say 30% or 40%) on a regular basis, it needs to be replaced

Especially if its used, as depending on the age of the 4s, it can be closing in on 4 years old now which is more than enough time to drain a battery (or 2 as stated above!)

Replacing a battery is easy to do by yourself, but if they're offering to do it for cheap (like 20 dollars) might as well do it via them. OEM only; don't use any larger or smaller capacity amounts.