Odd behavior of Magic Trackpad on Mac Pro - solved.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Dadioh, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 2006 in which I have a small Bluetooth Dongle in one of the front USB connectors. I got a Magic Trackpad for Christmas but kept running into issues where the trackpad would stop responding for anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds. Sometimes it would hang up in the middle of dragging a window around which was a real pain because, even though the mouse was working it would just drag around the window. Couldn't click on anything until the trackpad came alive again.

Also, although two finger scrolling worked on the trackpad as soon as I tried dragging 3 or 4 fingers on the trackpad it would hang up immediately. 100% repeatable.

The mouse I was using was an old Logitech wireless mouse with a USB plug in transceiver. On a whim I unplugged that mouse and replaced it with a Logitech bluetooth mouse and.... the trackpad now works perfectly on all gestures including 3 and 4 finger. It has not hung up once since replacing that mouse.

No idea why it was interfering this way and why multi touch gestures caused 100% hangup. Just thought I would post it in case there was anyone else in this situation trying to figure out if they got a defective trackpad.

2. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

That's weird. Have you tried plugging in the problematic mouse again, just for kicks? Glad you got it fixed, though.

3. Dadioh thread starter macrumors 65816

Dadioh

Not yet. May be worth a try. I am getting an official Bluetooth daughter card to plug onto the motherboard. Maybe the unofficial dongle is part of the problem.

Currently trying to sort out flashing a new 5770 card :)

4. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Even on a 2010 mac pro, I often find the magic trackpad flakey when other things are plugged into usb ports incl dongles or even just flash drives.

5. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Luckily, I haven't had any problems in these situations. I wish you could turn off the physical click, though, because it will get stuck on sometimes for no good reason (meaning, I haven't even touched the thing) so I have to click the damn thing to unstick it.

6. Dadioh thread starter macrumors 65816

Dadioh

Yeah. This Bluetooth dongle is just a temporary solution until the real Apple Bluetooth daughter card gets here. Hopefully that will resolve my issues. I still find it doesn't always connect to the trackpad requiring fiddling with adding devices...