Odd Behavior on my iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by RCGMac, Mar 24, 2009.

1. RCGMac macrumors regular

So twice in the last month I have woke my iPod Touch from sleep. After waking, I try to access my e-mail and get an error that 'the server can not be found'. I have had to do a hard reset, i.e. holding the home and power buttons until the screen goes blank. When turning on iPod I get a screen showing the charging cable and the iTunes icon.

Does anyone know what is going on? Your help is greatly appericated. :)

2. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Sounds like a simple issue that you are solving using a last resort technique.

Usually, when waking the iPod from sleep, it does what a Mac does, it has to reinitialize communication processes from a standby/hibernate mode. As long as you're in a network zone that you know you've gained access to, it'll reinitialize to it.

By hard reseting it, you are causing a lot of those processes to not fully wake up and force them out of some critical states. The best thing to do is sync your iPod up with your computer, and see if it gives out errors. REMEMBER, HARD RESET IS A LAST RESORT TO SOLVING ISSUES! Try not to do something so drastic right away.

When I wake my iPod from sleep, I let it get fully warmed up first before I do anything that has WiFi connectivity, like checking email and browsing the web.

Now if I'm not hitting the nail on the head, then that means you didn't explain your situation very well. If this occurs, please go into further detail.

3. RCGMac thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The internet issues happen even 3 to 5 minutes after I wake my iPod. It doesn't happen very often. I have been told that hard resetting is a good thing to do every once in a while because it 'reboots' the iPod.

4. Moocher macrumors regular

Very well done, LtRammstein.

Mooch

5. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Okay that helps.

The reset can help, just doing it too much and the iPod can start to malfunction.

As far as I can tell, it might be an issue with the wireless driver in the OS or the fact that a setting is not set properly in your Preferences on your networks. You might want to talk to people on Apple's support forums, or go to a Genius Bar and ask them for help.

To Moocher, thanks! I try to give optimum service whenever I can. :D

6. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

not true, possibly rebooting is okay, but by force restarting your ipod you make it go through many more tasks starting up, and in the end it is bad for the ipod (cpu usage, and batt drain) BUT holding the power button, and shutting it down that way is good every once in a while, but not absolutely necessary

to solve your problem, i would restore, and see if that makes a difference, if not your wifi antenna may be buggy and you should take it to an apple store to get fixed