Odd behaviour in Mail

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by TerenceW, Mar 3, 2014.

1. TerenceW macrumors member

When I'm trying to send emails, Mac Mail often tells me the server associated with whatever account I'm using (I have several) is not available or I should check my account details... yet it will send using one of the other accounts, though not always the same one. All the accounts are on the same server, all configured the same way exactly. My server doesn't support SSL, though, and I'm wondering if that has something to do with it.

If I set up POP accounts, they all work with no problem.

Any ideas, anybody?

2. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Do you have the same email accounts setup on another device (iPhone, iPad, etc...) also?

If yes, then that's likely the cause. They are both trying to access the same serves at the same time with the same account. It happens to me sometimes also, and always has (even when running windows).

The solution is to copse the mail app., wait a few minutes and try again, OR remove the email address from other devices so they won't be trying to access the same server at the same time. For me, I need the email on all of my devices, so I just wait 5 minutes and try again.

3. TerenceW thread starter macrumors member

No - I only have one device running email at any one time because of that particular problem. Don't have mail on either of my iPhones but I do have it on the iPad.

The other thing I'm finding is Mail isn't getting ALL emails. Today, I closed Mail, opened Outlook and a dozen mails popped up there which Mail hadn't downloaded at all... 2 of them had been sent first thing this morning. I've tried repairing, deleting and recreating, all to no avail. It's a puzzle, and an annoying one at that.