Odd behaviour on Night Stand

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by baxlobs, Nov 23, 2016.

1. baxlobs macrumors regular

I have had my Apple Watch about 6 months, each night I place it on the night stand to charge, and use as a very convenient night time clock, just touch it and time shows up.

Just this past week at least once each night when I touch it nothing happens. My first thought was a power cut, but can see landing light is still on so not that. If I then give it a harder tap a message appears which I have been unable to read as the writing is small and appearance very brief 10 secs or so. ( If I tap it again the login screen appears or the daytime clock face) If I take it off the stand competely and replace it normal service is resumed.

Any ideas why this change has come about?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Sounds like you many have (accidentally) cut off General> Night Stand Mode

3. baxlobs thread starter macrumors regular

How could that happen while I was asleep and the watch sitting on the stand? It was working normally each time at first, and again after I took it off the stand and replaced it.

4. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I turned Night Stand Mode off and I have to push one of the two buttons to see my Watch face light up. (bumping the night stand or the Watch no longer works) I prefer this method since I want to see the time, my calendar and weather first thing in the morning, rather than a jumbo green clock.

5. chuyn macrumors 6502

Does the brief message mention anything about "this charging accessory is not supported?" When that pops up, the Watch or charger is having some issues. So the Watch will stop charging (not respond to light tapping) and when it finally lights up, you'll be seeing the message after which you'll just see the login screen or daytime clock. Try a different charger or USB charger and see if it still happens?

6. baxlobs thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for replies, chuyn, I have now managed to read the message! It says "This charging appliance is not supported by Apple watch" As this is the original charger supplied by Apple with the Watch that is a puzzle. It is fitted in a non Apple stand, but I tried last night without the stand and the same message came up.
    Could it be just that the chrager face has got a bit dirty?? Odd though that it ALWAYS works when first setup, it is only later in the night that it fails with this error message.

7. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

Make sure charger is plugged into an actual Apple power supply. Also, if the charging disc slides back in the third party stand, it can fail to make good contact with the back of the Watch and trigger this message.

8. baxlobs thread starter macrumors regular

Def an Apple pwer supply, could be the poor contact problem, altho it did it last night when I connected it directly to the charger without the stand, I will try cleaning the charger and checking it is fitted tightly into the stand. It worked just fine for several months, only trouble in past week or so.

9. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

My wife and I both have the same stand as each other. Somehow her disc slides back into the stand over time.

10. baxlobs thread starter macrumors regular

Update, last night I carefully cleaned the surface of the charger, and fitted it firmly into the stand, it worked perfectly all night. Result.:)
    Thanks to all who replied.