Odd behaviour PC Card in Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ih8reno, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I just updated my windows drive in my Mac Pro 2009 flashed to 5,1 and rebooted back into OS 10.12. Usually it boots right into the desktop but this time I saw the Apple logo halfway through the boot along with the progress bar. The graphics card my display is connected to is a PC Card. Asus GTX 750ti. I'm confused as to how I am seeing the boot screen on an unflashed card. [​IMG]

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

You sometimes get a glimpse of the Apple logo after the OS loads the GPU kexts but before it loads the login screen or desktop. Happens with my GTX 970 as well.

3. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

When the loading bar go more than half, it's totally possible that the OS already load the driver. On a system that still boot from HDD may be more common, but with the SSD, everything happen too fast and usually won't able to see this screen.

However, sometimes there may be few background process which slow down the boot process a bit, then even boot from SSD may able to see this screen.

4. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Its odd though as I never before got any glimpse of the apple logo. Now it shows up with half the progress bar loaded. I am running from a regular hdd not a ssd.

5. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Same on my RX 470. It appears macOS has finally caught up with Windows and shows the OS loading without the need for flashed cards. At the moment it happens when the graphics driver loads. Looks like a move away from all that EFI firmware nonsense.