Odd bug with Mail and Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ravenvii, Nov 3, 2007.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Anyone else notice this bug? When you invoke Time Machine while in Mail, the dock disappears, and the window seems to prep for the Time Machine transition, then the dock reappears and the window goes back to normal, then the process starts again, and actually goes into Time Machine.

Obviously a bug, I'm surprised no one noticed that yet.

2. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

3. jmr-amc macrumors newbie

Time Machine - Apple Mail Bug

This also happens to me.

Whenever you try and launch Time Machine while Mail is the active application the dock disappears and all of Mails menus too - but time machine never launches.

Unlike you though, the dock never seems to reappear - I have to force quit mail and relaunch.

I'm sure I have read that time machine should work with mail, the same as it does with iphotos and finder.

Just installed 10.5.2 in the hope it was fixed - but no. Can't find any information on the web on this. Anyone have any ideas.

Running Leopard on imac 2.8Ghz IC2Duo

4. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Mine does the same thing.

Then again, I can only get TM to backup my internal drive. It refuses to backup my properly formatted external USB drive.

5. jmr-amc macrumors newbie

I have part of the answer - for me anyway.

I was using Daniel Parnell's HTTP Mail Plugin to access my Hotmail account in my Mail inbox.

After uninstalling the plugin I found that Time Machine would launch from mail after restarting.

Having said that I haven't been able to go back in time successfully yet but this maybe if the plugin prevented the backups from occurring properly. When you try and go back to a previous date it seems to hang and I have to alt/apple escape to leave time machine.

Anyway - Hope this helps and I'll post if I find out more.