Odd computer crash GPU issue vs virus

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tomforti, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Tomforti macrumors newbie

So I have (maybe had) a FB322LL/A - Refurbished iMac 24-inch 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme early 2008 model. The last 2 months I have been having random crashes, the nice "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds"message. I removed some apps and removed some old items to free up hard drive space, which seemed to help. Today I was running powerpoint with mozilla and got an ugly looking screen all these red squiggly lines (image attached). I was able to restart once and get back the desktop but this occurred again shortly after the restart (image attached). Now I get can't get past the apple logo and it doesn't even look like an apple logo anymore. So I don't know where the issues is coming from. I am wondering about the GPU or is this a virus. Please help!!!

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

It is probably hardware related.
    If you can boot into Mac OS X once again, get a Kernel Panic report or two and post it/them here.

About "You need to restart your computer" (kernel panic) messages
    Resolving Kernel Panics
    Mac OS X: How to log a kernel panic
    [​IMG]

As to it being a virus:

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
    To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

3. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

looks like GPU issue.

Maybe look into cleaning the insides of the imac, (blow out dust).
    Maybe upgrade RAM to decrease Hard Drive caching, heat..
    Or upgrade HD to SSD to lessen heat on the inside....

Dunno. Just some ideas.