Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Here is something that i believe is odd!
Im working on an Illustrator file on CS6. Then i save it as PDF (press quality). Then i open the pdf file on Illu CS5. I get a msg that its generated by newer version etc. And finally, although its worked in CMYK color mode (in CS6), when opened in Illu CS5 its converted auto, in RGB color mode. Is that right? Shouldn't it keep the CMYK profile?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
This surely happens when PDF is saved using Press Quality settings! I wonder if this is settings of the save as pdf (press quality) settings!
Can someone verify this?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Im working on an Illustrator file on CS6. Then i save it as PDF (press quality). Then i open the pdf file on Illu CS5. I get a msg that its generated by newer version etc. And finally, although its worked in CMYK color mode (in CS6), when opened in Illu CS5 its converted auto, in RGB color mode. Is that right? Shouldn't it keep the CMYK profile?
If your workflow is to go from Illustrator CS6 to Illustrator CS5, save the file as Illustrator format, but with CS5 compatibility. Does doing that give a different result?
What if you save the Press Quality PDF as an older version PDF?

Hirakata

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Burbank, CA

As the above poster said, save with CS5 compatibility if CS5 is your goal. Otherwise, when saving the pdf from CS6, check and make sure Color Conversion and Destination are correct. (Under "Output" in the dialog box that pops up when saving the pdf.)

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
As the above poster said, save with CS5 compatibility if CS5 is your goal. Otherwise, when saving the pdf from CS6, check and make sure Color Conversion and Destination are correct. (Under "Output" in the dialog box that pops up when saving the pdf.)
You were right!!! Problem is fixed if i select "No Conversion" in the Color Conversion dialogue box in the Output tab. But to be frank, i don't understand what this Color Conversion actually does although it has a small explanatory text underneath!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.