odd display of iWeb sites in Firefox Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Ed-p, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Ed-p macrumors newbie

My new iWeb 08 (version 2.0.3) -created website edporto.com displays fine on macs using Safari.

On PCs using internet explorer there are odd semi-transparent boxes laying over the pages. On my Mac, Firefox (latest version, 2.0.0.12) doesn't show some drop shadows and draws dark lines before displaying the proper (lighter) gray (999999).

I have a few transparent elements in the design of the pages. Is this a problem? a feature that will not be supported by browsers other than Safari?

Any ideas or tips would be appreciated. Thanks -Ed

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I get those semi transparent boxes onmysite too, in sig, in IE. Its odd.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

CSS drop shadow support is a long standing bug report @bugzilla.mozilla.org, however, it doesn't seem to attract much attention and remain low at the priority lists.

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

I don't have IE6 handy right now, but I'm guessing that you're talking about images that should be transparent around the edges but end up with a grey background instead?

If so, that's just IE6 not [properly] supporting PNGs with an alpha channel--it only does transparent GIFs, which cannot have smooth edges. It can be worked around with some hacks (supersleight is a script to do the work for you that I've used), but even those are funky.

If this is something else, then never mind.

5. Ed-p thread starter macrumors newbie

iWeb-created transparency not supported in IE

The elements in question were two graphics created in iWeb that have a 70% transparency assigned to them (in iWeb).

I removed the transparency, reloaded the site and those odd translucent boxes went away in IE.

The translucent boxes were much larger than the actual transparent elements. But the solution seems to be to keep everything 100% opaque.

As far as Firefox goes, the transparency was supported. But, with both transparent or opaque graphic elements, some lines appear black as the page loads, before everything taking on its final color. Odd but somewhat acceptable.

thanks for the comments -Ed

6. kcroy macrumors regular

kcroy

iWeb navigation bar does not appear.

I have had very similar problems. My biggest problem is that the navigation bar to navigate around my sites does not appear on Firefox at all and some IE browsers. I have gone back in and added a second text navigation bar just for Firefox.

Does anyone know how to fix this navigation bar issue?

www.kellycroy.com
    www.mrcroy.com
    www.greatcartooning.com

7. scobie macrumors newbie

iWeb navigation bar does not appear on Firefox

Yup. This is my current issue as well. Firefox shows no nav bar for new iWeb designed site. IE, no problem good display of my very basic iWeb site.

Currently I have awfully close to zero skills to add in alternate navigation for Firefox, so if someone

a) has a fix that doesn't involve an html workaround, would love to know. Seems like this is basic enough that they'd want to fix it at the iWeb level, so perhaps just waiting for an iWeb update and republishing will eventually get this solved?.

b) wants to try to convince me that I can produce the workaround...?.

Other notes:
    My 'no nav bar' issue is with Firefox on my PC, which I *think* is the latest version? (version 1.0.7)

My brother just now reported that the site works fine on his Firefox (may be firefox on a mac), so it's looking like a version and/or platform issue.

-scobie in seattle

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

you need to wait for an update for iWeb from apple.

at the mean time, there is a fix floating around internet that would patch iWeb, you will need to re-generate webpages and re-upload it.

Fundamental reason behind this, is the small JS incompatibility. Firefox 3 is using JS 1.8, compare to 1.7 in Firefox 2.

9. hazelbrook macrumors newbie

hazelbrook

did apple fix this problem? does anyone know?

10. Giovannino macrumors member

The problems with iWeb and Firefox have been fixed with the release of iWeb 2.0.4 (especially the problem with picture galleries not displaying in FF)

11. chony macrumors newbie

I still have the drop shadow issue in FF even in 2.0.4.

Also, for some reason, FF displays my menubar font in bold, so it takes up 2 lines instead of 1. Any solutions GREATLY GREATLY appreciated.

Chony

12. erchless macrumors newbie

having the same problem

I have the same problems with the drop shadows when viewing my website (chisholmphotography.com) in Firefox. Everything seems ok in Safari. I wish there was a solution.

13. mikepeartree macrumors newbie

iweb darkroom template

@ erchless: my new first iweb site <michelepero.com> is based on the same darkroom template as yours but mine does not want to show ANY image, not even the iweb templates, nor in safari nor in firefox. There's just a little facebook widget, navigation bar and seems not even text. Most text was white but some titles should be gray...
    How could you get yours shown???

OSX 10.6.4 iweb 3.0.1 safari 5.0 firefox 3.6.6

14. erchless macrumors newbie

15. mikepeartree macrumors newbie

iweb's templates and images now appear

Hi everybody,
    I fixed my problem with images and apple templates not showing up on the server. That was a hotlink protection enabled on the Hostmonster server, now turned off.
    <http://www.michelepero.com/Wedding_Photojournalism/Welcome.html>
    Still the white border I chose for my photos is not displayed. Pics are borderless and stich together.
    Any hint about that issue?

16. rajbirdhalla macrumors newbie

same problem

I get the same problem with shadowing(when turned on in Iweb)
    Box appears outside (rather larger) the shadowed object. Its fine with google chrome and sucks in FF an IE
    see here
    www.4sidepixel.com

17. Mgallagher macrumors newbie

Iweb problems on Internet Explorer

Can anyone help me with a problem. I recently published a website, clickcabinets.com, with Iweb, and everything turned out fine except the navigation bar. If I view it on Safari it looks perfect. If I view it on Internet Explorer, for every different link you click on, the logo jumps to a different spot, sometimes covering up the search bar. I've attached a jpeg with views of it in I.E. and Safari. I'm hoping there is some way to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

18. bluemonkeyguy macrumors 6502

I.E. is being retarded, what you can do is make the image size larger without distorting it by adding more transparency in Photoshop. So your forcing the image to load from the top.