Odd email problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nolaw, Mar 4, 2011.

1. nolaw macrumors newbie

Bought a new BTO 2011 15" MPB last week and am setting it up. I am new to Macs, and have encountered an odd problem while setting up some email addresses.

I have Office Mac 2011 installed. I have a hosted Exchange server account for my personal use. My Exchange provider (link2exchange) has a knowledge base with instructions on how to set up their Exchange account on both Outlook 2011 for the Mac and Snow Leopard mail.app. I have followed their directions for both applications and have failed to connect to the Exchange server. I have a separate support ticket in with my Exchange provider for that. But, then I ran into another problem.

I decided to set up my Hotmail account in mail.app. Very simple (automatic set to POP). Once it completed downloading my messages, I sent a test message from the mail.app Hotmail account to my Exchange account. It sent (showed up in my sent folder in mail.app), but did not arrive in my Exchange account (inbox or junk mail). However, it DID show up in the Hotmail sent items folder in Outlook 2007 on my Windows 7 box (Hotmail account using Outlook Connector).

I then sent a test message from my Hotmail account on my Outlook 2007 install on the Windows 7 machine to my Exchange account. This one showed up in my Exchange inbox like normal, as well as in the sent items folder under the Hotmail account in Outlook 2007. I thought, this is odd.

I then went back to the Mac, and logged into my Hotmail account through Safari. I sent a series of test messages from the Hotmail web based email client to my Exchange account. None of these messages showed up in my Exchange inbox or junk mail, either, but they all showed up in my sent items folder in Outlook 2007 on the Windows box. I then sent a test message from the Hotmail web based email client on IE on the Windows box to the Exchange account, and the same thing happened, showed up in the Hotmail sent items folder in Outlook 2007 but not the Exchange inbox or junk mail. Only the original message sent from mail.app shows up in my mail.app Hotmail sent folder.

I am either missing something completely obvious, something peculiar to Macs, or have a very odd and difficult to solve issue. I feel the Exchange setup problem and the Hotmail problem may be related, but I have no idea why that would be. No other problems with OSX or the MPB so far. Any advice and assistance anyone can provide would be most appreciated!

2. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I believe it has to do with the new tech in outlook 2011 for mac. I have kerio which is exchange based for my work email and it hasn't been properly upgraded to work yet. I would talk to you tech support because I'm guessing that's the case. I'm still in Entourage 2008 for now until it's fully supported since I'm running an exchange account and two gmail's and like to view them all in one program. Outlook worked great for my gmail accounts when I did set it up.

3. nolaw thread starter macrumors newbie

As far as the Exchange installation problem, I learned that my hosted account was on Exchange 2003, so I will have to migrate that over.

The email receipt problem is still confusing me. For some reason, the emails I sent from my Hotmail and Gmail accounts to the Exchange account showed up in the Junk Mail section of the Exchange accounts management page (where I log into my provider to change settings), but not in my Junk Mail folder on Outlook 2007 or even OWA. I flagged the messages for delivery, but only two of them showed up in my inbox. My junk mail settings are set to send messages from my Hotmail and Gmail accounts. I received emails from other people's Gmail accounts that are not specifically set with a filter, so I have no idea why mail from my accounts is not getting through.