Odd error on Seagate 3TB GoFlex - "No Slices Found"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by treehorn, Mar 22, 2014.

1. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

In migrating all my stuff from an old Mac Pro to the new one (late 2013), I moved my iTunes library (all 1.5TB of it) plus Aperture library to a relatively new Seagate 3TB GoFlex drive, which I had erased and formatted using the new computer before the big migration.

Been having some odd issues with it this week - during a Time Machine backup of the drive it kept 'dropping off' and I'd get a "drive improperly ejected' warning (this is something that hadn't happened until I paired it with a Time Machine). I figured it might be due to it being plugged into a USB hub instead of directly into the computer so I changed that and it backed up fine.

But since I was getting some odd "Can not save ITunes Library" messages since then, I figured I better run Disk Utility to see if something got corrupted and it wouldn't fix it. Disk Warrior fixed whatever errors and problems, and running Disk Utilities on it again it came through with no problems...

...until I clicked on the name of the drive itself, not on Volume within it. then I get a huge warning in red saying "Partition map check failed because no slices were found"

Searches on what this means and possible fixes have been slim (and basically boil down to "back up the data and repartition it" as it seems to be usually associated with a wonky partition if one has multiple partitions on the drive. As I don't...not sure what it means)

Is there a problem with the drive itself and I should toss it? Or do I need to re-format it and re-transfer over the library?

2. Marty62 macrumors 6502

If it's relatively new then contact seagate and get a replacement.

You could re-format and try again if you have the space to do that and not
    lose anything ?

I wouldn't trust it, should have a 2 or 3 year warranty IIRC it's 3 with seagate.

M.

3. Ka Ora! macrumors regular

I have been getting a No Slices error after removing a 4Tb drive from my 3.1 MP and putting it in a usb enclosure, Disk Utility now only recognises it as 1.8Tb drive I have put this down to a older incompatible chipset in the enclosure.

4. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn

So...given that I had everything backed up on Time Machine that was on that drive, I wiped it a variety of ways. And kept seeing an odd notice on Disk Utility when doing a 'verify/repair' on it - that it was doing some settings for winboot. Which had me thinking there was a tiny ghost partition still on the drive from Seagate installed software. And by looking for invisible/hidden files, I found a few that didn't get erased and zapped them, re-partitioned the drive to 1 partition, and erased it again. And it seems to be gone (and seems to be working). So keeping an eye on it in case it was damaged somehow (but nothing comes up as damage on Disk Warrior, Tech Tools or Disk Utility)

5. g4cube macrumors 6502a

If you did a simple Erase, you likely retained the standard MBR partition scheme. You eventually did better by actually repartitioning using Disk Utility and hopefully created a GPT partition table (see Options within Disk Utility on the Partition Tab).

6. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn

Oddly enough it said it was always one partition in disk utility as that was one of the things I checked given the mention of "partition" in the warning