Odd Errors with a Blu-Ray Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by FluJunkie, Apr 2, 2013.

1. FluJunkie macrumors 6502a

Recently I replaced my built-in SuperDrive with a Pioneer BDC-208DBK Blu-Ray Drive from OWC. The drive seems to be recognized by the machine - the eject option on the menu bar lists the right drive, it reads discs (DVDs and Blu-Ray discs using VLC's newest version) etc.

But I'm experiencing some odd, intermittent errors. Occasional hanging at startup. Long, unresponsive beach balls when I hit F12 to eject a disk or eject via the menu bar. Occasional failures to launch programs that require drive information, like iTunes, Disk Utility, etc - many of which then seem to build into Finder tripping over its shoelaces and grinding to failure.

These are all frequent but only intermittent - any idea what could be going on?

2. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Hi,

This is a long shot but it might help.. Try an SMU reset on your Mac Pro.. Shutdown fully the Mac Pro.. Unplug it from the wall.. While holding down the power button leave unplugged for 5 seconds.. Then plug back in and test..

If your original stock superdrive did not exhibit these kinds of errors, the likely culprit could be the blu-ray drive itself.. Since you bought it from OWC, they have EXCELLENT tech support service.. I would call them 1st thing tomorrow morning and discuss this with them.

They provide tech support for all products purchased from them and they were to my rescue when I had an issue with a ram chip I bought from them..

Do this anyway even if you do the SMU reset.