odd experience with macbook pro and minidisplay adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PVIllustration, Nov 22, 2009.

1. PVIllustration macrumors member

Hi all

I have a very odd issue. My MBP is connected to the internet by a airport extreme base-station.

Now, when I plug in my secondary monitor through with the mini display to dvi adapter cable I loose all internet activity. If I then unplug the cable, the internet connection will eventually come back after a couple of minutes.

Has anyone experienced this too, or just heard about such an issue?

cheers,
    Peter

2. MasterDev macrumors 65816

3. PVIllustration thread starter macrumors member

4. ForthRightAfter macrumors member

ForthRightAfter

Finally~!!! I too have been experiecing this problem, I have been having internet problems aswell I even took it in to Apple, just to have them laugh at me because they weren't able to replicate the problem..but yesterday I noticed and am certain it occurs when I plugged in the mini dvi adapter.like you stated i need to wait a few minutes for it to comeback, it doesnt drop the connection kinda just lags it, and iChat restarts itself. strange though it will only occur in Snow Leopard. i tried this in Windows XP Boot Camp and no issues.

any ideas and what gives? anybody have this problem?

5. PVIllustration thread starter macrumors member

good to hear that I'm not alone.

you are right, it doesn't really cancel wifi, but it lags alot and seems very sporadic.

It is very odd. I wonder if it's a problem only happening on SL?

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That sounds like a better problem than what I have. When I connect to a monitor sometimes my entire machine just freezes. Very annoying.

7. PVIllustration thread starter macrumors member

I'm bumping this in hope someone somewhere has read about this issue.

Anyone have a few things to try to see where the problem lies?

I haven't been able to downgrade to 10.5 (since I just bought my MBP), but would really love to hear if WiFi works fine with an external monitor with the minidisplay adapter plugged in earlier OSX versions.

8. Lucbert macrumors regular

Lucbert

Have you tried reinstalling MacOSX?
    Have you tried turning AirPort off before plugging the display and than switching it back on when the display is connected?

9. PVIllustration thread starter macrumors member

good suggestions Lucbert.

I have no plans to reinstall snow leopard, as my MBP is less than 2 months old. I have a hard time believing that should solve it. However, you never know....

I don't think I have tried turning wifi off before connecting the external monitor. I will definitively try that one out.

thanks!

10. ForthRightAfter macrumors member

ForthRightAfter

so there was an airport update not too long ago, i've noticed since i've installed it everything seems to be back in order. or at least the network connection isn't as slow, how about you guys same result?