Odd fan noise...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by D4F, May 5, 2009.

1. D4F Guest

D4F

as my fan is getting loud lately above 2K rpm and it's a 'worn out bearing' type of noise.
    Anybody experienced that before it actually died?

I'm on 2.4 alu MBP

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could make a recording with Photo Booth and the internal microphone and upload it to YouTube (or a video community of your choice) so we can hear what you mean.

In the end a sound recording would suffice, but I don't know if you have the proper equipment and www storage.

Have you looked into the fan opening (below the hinge on the back) with a light to see if dust or something else might have accumulated itself there?

3. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

I have had a fan wear out on me on a pc, but never a mac. How old is your computer?

4. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

apparently less than a year. Since for some reason some still use alu, instead of the more obvious uni

5. CTechKid macrumors regular

I just replaced the right fan on my 2.2 SR MBP this morning. The fan itself isn't cheap (or at least where I ended up getting it from) but you can't put a price on silence. :cool:

6. D4F thread starter Guest

D4F

Less than two months old.
    I use it a lot for 3D graphics when I'm on the move.
    SMC always on so maybe that is the case as I got it set at 3-4K RPM most of the time so it doesn't overheat.

What's so obvious about uni?

7. DooDaaDame macrumors member

DooDaaDame

As Fans Go...

There are a couple things you can do.
    1) Power down and give your fan a short burst of compressed air through the back venting.
    2) Replace Fan
    I tried the compressed air, and when that didn't work, I then ended up replacing the fans on my G4. I haven't tried this on a Macbook, but have seen other posts recommending it.
    Replacing the fans gave me a powerboost as the fans were lagging the system.:D

8. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen