Odd fans on 15" and hot temps on 2.2GHz?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ninjaboi21, Mar 12, 2011.

1. ninjaboi21 macrumors member

So I installed smcFanControl as I like to have a visual view of how my fans are running and I discovered something odd. For the last week I had my MBP, they have always stayed at a nice 2000RPM, just as they should. Today thought, they have been acting all weird - first they skyrocketed up to 3100RPM without doing anything, then slowly decreasing with the CPU always staying at around 50-53 celsius. The fans turned down and now keeps staying at 2200RPM - 2100RPM.

I rebooted my MBP to see if some nasty application should use the RAM, CPU w/e but they still run at a 2200RPM. It just went odd all of a sudden, could something be wrong? With a machine at 4000$, I want it to be nearly perfect and this keeps me worried :p

A little side-question: does your palmrest run uncomfortable hot, I'm thinking about the left one where the CPU is? The right is pretty cool, and it just bugs me they aren't equal hot. It's almost as I sweat on my left if I have my palm rested for a bit ):

2. simsaladimbamba

You could do an SMC reset (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964).

Btw, the CPU is located at the top of the keys, around the F3 to F6 keys (ifixit might help), therefore the trackpad should not be hot, as it is above the battery. If the battery is hot, it might be a sign of a faulty one. Have you used iStat Pro to monitor the battery or even HDD temp yet?

3. ninjaboi21 thread starter macrumors member

/facepalm - now I feel a little stupid, hehe. I just thought it was the CPU, as I always felt it got hotter when the CPU did.

I just had it sitting next to a window, so the temps are not correct right now. Will update this post when I have been using for a little while.

How do I use iStat Pro to check the battery temps? I am only able to see the HDD temps (and GPU, CPU, Heatsink etc.).

By the way, does the batteries get hotter when you charge the computer?

4. simsaladimbamba

Maybe iStat Pro does not offer it, take a look at the widget settings by clicking the small circled "i" int the bottom right corner. You can also use iStat Menus.

The battery can get warmer during charging, but not by much.

5. ninjaboi21, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

ninjaboi21 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, it have been running for some time now, just idling. I havn't used it for a proper 30 minutes. The battery is at 30 celsius, fans RPM at 2000, the HDD is 33 celsius.

Either it's because I just been outside and therefor I feel cold, or else I would say they are still annoying hot. It doesn't burn, but when you rest your palms for a longer period of time, you get annoyed. It's just odd to me, as my dads 3 year old MB is not this kind of hot, at all.

The HDD is at a 7200RPM and that may have some influence, but I just don't get why the left palm feels so hot. Even iStat Menus says: Left Palm Rest - 30 celsius.

Here is a picture of my MBP and a picture of my dads MB. Does everything look normal to you?

6. ninjaboi21 thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry for double posting, but I would like to update this thread with some new information.

Now, I have been using my MBP all day pretty much, and took an extra interest in the temps and fans. I must say, I have never seen anything like this.
    At idle, I noticed the fans went to a 2200RPM. Thought it was 200 over normal, but didn't really do anything. Then I checked out the site London in 360 and noticed the CPU went to a stunning 80 celsius. The fans of course kicked in and kept running at 3300RPM. Even after leaving the site, they still went on like this. Me and a friend fired up some YouTube, and watched some few clips. I would like to add that I use YouTube5, Chromed, an extension that converts YouTube videos into HTML5 and does not require as much as flash. In this case, it didn't really helped at all as the fans went up to freakin' 6200RPM and stayed there throughout the whole YouTube session. I have been watching YouTube before, but it never got past 2000RPM. Neither with the discrete or integrated graphiccard.
    This evening, without doing anything, it's been on 3300RPM, just browsing through image sites, imgur, reddit, Funnyjunk etc. and the CPU just keeps being at 60 degrees. I am not doing anything. The Hitachi HDD is at 39 degrees and the palmrest feels hot and annoying to rest on.

I have, of course, checked if something required my processor in the background, but it has been idling at 97% - 100%. It usually takes a couple of hours to recharge, but I feel like I have been charging it forever now and it's still not at a 100%. Are we dealing with a faulty machine here or can someone confirm it's working as intended. If it is, I may return it and get the lower 15" model instead - the 0.2GHz lower processor and 6470 AMD should logically be cooler and not use as much power (which means longer battery), I'm not sure if this statement is correct however.

Please people, I still got 'till next Friday to return it, and I just really want to know if we are dealing with a bad machine or it's working as intended and I should instead get the lower 15" model. It's not worth the extra $$$ if I have to use such a hot, power draining machine if I could in fact SAVE $$$ by getting a cooler machine. I'm really worried you guys :(:confused: