Odd file on my flash drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Scippy, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Scippy macrumors regular

Hello,
    So when I try plug my flashdrive into my mac, it shows up on disk utility, but will not mount. I then try it on another mac and after 5 minutes of trying to load, it mounts. I was thinking that I should do a disk repair, so I go to backup my files, and when I do, A message pops up saying,
    "You may need to enter the name and password for an administrator on this computer to change the item named "Things"."
    Just so you know, I have never put a folder called "Things" on my flash drive, nor have I ever password protected it.
    When this comes up I tell it to stop backing up, and then try access this new folder.
    In side the folder this is a file that is the picture down below. When I try to open this file, Finder pops up saying, "The operation could not be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error code -43)."

Also when I try to get info, the info page flashes in and out, and then the file disapears.

Does anyone know what this is, and if it is dangerous to my computer, and is it safe for me to make a backup of my flashdrive?
    Also I do use PC's, so could it have come from there?

[​IMG]

2. Scippy thread starter macrumors regular

I was going though my files on my flashdrive, and I noticed that all of my folder had similar things in it. So now my question is, What did I do to get all my files to go, I'm guessing corrupted.

3. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

Do you always properly eject the drive?

In OS X you do this by dragging the drive from the desktop into the trash (it turns into an eject icon). After the icon disappears from the desktop it is safe to remove it.

In Windows, right click on the drive in My Computer and click "Eject"

4. Scippy thread starter macrumors regular