Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2007
I'm on an older blackbook (2 years old? ca. summer 2007) running Leopard and I'm getting some weird behavior with Finder. When I right click on anything in the dock, i.e., to close a program, the dock locks up, I can't click on any of the menu options, Expose stops working and the alt+tab interface stops working, as if everything is frozen... This caused me to think that Finder was crashing, but then I discovered that when I went up to the menubar at the top, everything "unfroze." The dock went back to normal and was usable, expose works fine and the alt-tab interface works fine too.

This is completely re-creatable (not a word). I have no idea what's causing it, but it's rather annoying when I try to close programs or empty the trash via the dock.

Any ideas?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
And do you have any 3rd party modifications installed for your dock?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

NP3

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Los Angeles
Humm that is odd. Things I can think of...

Have activity monitor open and have it search for the dock. Then re-create it and see if it spikes in usage or crashes.

Delete dock plist?

Do you have any dock customizers like transparentdock or candybar that may have gone haywire (& has not been used in awhile)?

When in doubt, repair permissions.

Anythig come up in the console that are related?

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2007
And do you have any 3rd party modifications installed for your dock?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Nope, none.

Humm that is odd. Things I can think of...

Have activity monitor open and have it search for the dock. Then re-create it and see if it spikes in usage or crashes.

Delete dock plist?

When in doubt, repair permissions.

Could you elaborate on those last two?

Does the issue happen in a different account as well?

Only one account on the machine... would it be worth making another one just to see what happens?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Repairing Permissions is done through Utilities -> Disk Utility

Deleting the .plist... you can do a Spotlight search for the dock .plist and delete it
Or go to User -> Library -> Preferences -> com.apple.dock.plist

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2007
Repairing Permissions is done through Utilities -> Disk Utility

Deleting the .plist... you can do a Spotlight search for the dock .plist and delete it
Or go to User -> Library -> Preferences -> com.apple.dock.plist

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Alright! Deleting the .plist worked, although a warning that it would reset my dock would have helped (cause I didn't put together .plist=preference list, heyyy).

Thanks ya'll.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.