Odd Font Problem with iMac...Mozilla/Safari-related

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tayloraj05, Aug 10, 2010.

1. tayloraj05 macrumors newbie

Hello all! I just stumbled upon your forum via Google (shocker, I know). I'm here because, well, I didn't have anywhere else to go and have finally faced the facts that I have no idea how to fix my problem.

The problem I'm having, and the reason I am here, is a font-related issue. When I load Firefox (or Safari, for that matter), the fonts on some pages are...well, clunky and goofy. It's not on every page, but on most. For instance:

http://a.yfrog.com/img62/9003/picture2cm.png

I've tried checking the Preferences in both programs to make sure that I hadn't accidentally set a certain font to default...no luck.

It wasn't always like this and, as far as I can tell, it can't be too difficult of a fix. I'm just not sure where to begin.

Any ideas?

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

Perhaps you have a corrupted font. Are there any log messages?

To check for problems with installed fonts using the Console application:
    Open Console, located in /Applications/Utilities.
    In the Console window, type “font” or a font name (such as “Arial”) in the Filter field.
    Console displays a detailed list of font-related log messages. These messages might contain information about corrupt or missing fonts, for example. Although the messages may be too technical for some users to understand, they can provide valuable information to a support technician assisting you with a problem.​

3. blinkin182 macrumors regular

blinkin182

I suppose you've checked the default fonts preferences (type and encoding) in:

Safari>Preferences>Appearance
    Firefox>Preferences>Content

Mine are set to:

Safari:
    Standard font: Times 16
    Fixed-width font: Helvetica 13
    Default encoding: Western (ISO Latin 1)

Firefox: Optima 13
    in Advanced:
    Fonts for Western....
    Serif, Optima, Verdana, Arial.
    Default Character Encoding: Western (ISO-8859-15)

Don't know if that info helps....

4. LPZ macrumors 65816

See the sentence that follows the embedded link in the original post. :rolleyes:

5. chimpchimp macrumors newbie

6. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

7. LPZ macrumors 65816

Why download and install anything? How about opening Font Book, selecting Helvetica and choosing Validate Font from the File menu?

But by checking the logs as suggested earlier, we may be able to determine which font, if any, is corrupted.

8. jonthansmith154 macrumors newbie