odd freeze problem, couldn't shut down behaving strange

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Breasts, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Breasts macrumors newbie

hello. I just had a very odd problem with my macbook. I was just surfing a couple webpages, watching some youtube videos, and then I got a instant message on I message. When I went to answer it, I suddenly got the spinning beachball and nothing was clickable. I could still move the cursor but everything else was completely locked up.

Then I noticed it was getting very hot, like 90c + hot, so I tried to turn it off. It didn't respond at all. I tried holding the power button down for 30 seconds...nothing. Then I closed the lid to see what it would do. The apple logo shut off and the keys shut off. I opened it back up an the screen was still on and locked, but the keyboard was flicking on and off periodically. I held the power button again trying to get it off, and nothing.

Then about 40 seconds later it started to do some random stuff on its own, like bring the dashboard up, and then bring up the shutdown icon, while still being frozen there, not doing anything.

I held the power button yet again and this time, finally, it shut down. I restarted it and it seems to be fine now but now I am a bit worried because I bought this refurbished 12 days ago and only have two days left to return it to apple if I am not happy with it and want another one. How concerned should I be with this problem? I haven't experienced this issue before, though from time to time when I download a new application it can take a good 30 seconds to a minute from when I try to open it, to when it actually opens.

I am disabled and going to the apple store is an extreme inconvenience for me but I will if I am left no choice. What should I do? Continue and wait to see if it happens again or take it back?

(additional note) I had heard about some hard freeze problems with this model (late 2011 15 inch) upon release and followed the step found here http://mbp-freeze.wikispaces.com to try to reproduce the freeze and was unable to do so. So I don't think it is that.

2. Breasts thread starter macrumors newbie

ive had it on for about three hours now, so far no additional problems. What should I do?