Odd green line on left side of MBP screen. Please help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PhaserFuzz, Jan 30, 2010.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

Here's a photo of the line...

[​IMG]

It's been there for a while now. Anyone know what causes it and if it can be fixed? It can be quite distracting at times. Thanks for any help!

2. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

3. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

No, graphics card failure, the logic board will have to be replaced. Let's hope he has AppleCare.

Edit: truth be told, it could be either. The tech will have to run tests to figure it out.

4. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Looks like a bad display or a bad graphics card. Do you have AppleCare?

Habitus :apple:

5. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it must be the display because I had the logic board replaced a few months ago. The green line was there before that. Is this going to become a bigger problem down the road, or just stay a minor annoyance? My Apple Care expired a while ago, so that's a no go. How much does a new display cost?

6. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

thats a display failure.. go thru some of my old posts .. i had the same issue but was under applecare and they replaced the lcd.. otherwise just walk into a apple store and try convincing them to fix it .. if u are lucky they might just do it for free otherwise you are out of luck!

7. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

The thing I'm wondering is if it's going to get worse down the road? Or if it's just going to stay like this.

8. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone have any idea how much this repair might cost???

9. dnkbro macrumors regular

It depends on the particular model of your MacBook Pro. If you want to save some money, there are great tutorials on fixing it yourself at www.ifixit.com. They also sell parts there too but the prices seem to be pretty high. I'd try looking at eBay maybe.

10. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Not to threadjack, but I'm having a similar problem with my Core 2 Duo iMac. Starting about a week ago, whenever I would watch a video file I would have a green line appear across the video, but not the entire screen. For the first time today, I had a green & black line appear across my Safari window along the bookmarks bar. In all cases the line has appeared about 1 inch from the top of the window. I've read all of the suggestions but I still don't know where I should start in trying to fix it. My AppleCare ended in October. :(

Attached Files:

11. noobsauce macrumors member

12. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Nope...After I moused over all of the links in the bookmarks bar, the line disappeared.

13. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

u shld still call up applecare.. it looks like a graphic card failure.. i think apple extended the warranty on 8600 ? but it doesnt hurt to call and give it a shot! :)

14. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

that has to be some kind of GFX card problem because you could actually take a screenshot of it.