Odd Hard Disk Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Sep 28, 2008.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hiya,

I seems to have a hard disk problem and I can't seem to solve it. Can anyone advise?

Basically, I have two identical disks, purchased at the same time for the purpose of creating a Stripe Raid. For a while (two months) they've worked without a glitch and recently I've encountered a huge problem.. After a reboot, the system wouldn't actually complete a full reboot, instead it would shut down. After switching on (again) the system it would try, only to shut down!! :mad:

Later I created a new partition on a attached data drive, where I installed very small and light partition from there I can startup as normal but the Stripe drive wouldn't mount, until I load up Disk Utility. And then I could be greeted but a error message informating me that the drive has been temporary mounted. It suggests I should backup my data, format and reinstall:eek::eek::eek:

I ofcourse tried this three times.. only to encounter the same identical problem. It seems there could be a disk error on one of the drives... thought it's not at the beginning:(

Does anyone know are there any utilities I can use to find the fault? So i can return that drive to the store? Cause both drive seems to work flawlessly when working as single volumes.

2. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

3. TheG4Mutiny macrumors newbie

TheG4Mutiny

how many gigs do they total in all both if added together?

4. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Just under 2TB

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

May I assume this is software RAID? :confused:

If so, backup data, run Disk Utility again to verify no actual disk problems, and start over. (Full Reinstall). This is why I never liked software RAID. Too many glitches like this (failed writes usually), that cause all kinds of headaches and wasted time. :(

6. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Actually...

A friend of mine suggest I boot into Windows and run the Seagate tools & DiscWizard... after only 25mins of checking the drive it failed showing some serious errors, at one point the Seagate's own application just aborted it's own tests after long lengths of grinding disks - that's telling me there's something wrong, right?

This machine's used for commercial work, so at this point there's really no valid point in re-formatting and starting over. Instead tomorrow I'll be returning the drive to my supplier, hopefully for a swap out/replacement.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Definitely a drive issue. :(

As I didn't know the specifics, I'd made a correlation with a few similar experiences where the drives were good, but the RAID software had caused the issue.

I didn't know you had a way of running another drive tool. The one provided by Seagate is decent, as I recall. At least you've pinpointed the problem.

I hope you get the replacements quickly, because: Computer Withdrawal...SUCKS! :p

Good Luck. :)