Odd Hardware Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aqxauror, Jun 13, 2012.

1. aqxauror macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I already feel incredibly stupid about this, so I'd prefer not hearing about the stupidity part because I already feel pretty bad. I have the Macbook Pro mid-2009 version, and I recently swapped out my HDD for an SSD, and that was running smooth and fast. I decided to swap the CD drive for the old HDD, but instead of buying a CD caddy I went with SATA cables and an adapter for the power. I kept the battery in due to the "Do not remove the battery" warning, though I should've researched and just unplugged the power.

Anyhow, while I was removing the CD tray and such, I unplugged the speaker wires. Unfortunately (and this is where you'll groan or laugh..) I let one of the contacts touch part of the logic board and it sparked a little.

I finished the upgrades and went to restart the computer. It seems that most things (CPU, memory, graphics) are working fine, but I've got some problems. Wifi is gone. Sound was working but now it isn't. The fan was running at 6100+ RPMs until I manually changed it to 4000 with smcFanControl. And, alas, windows are unusually slow to update sometimes and it just feels "off" if you know what I mean. I followed the instructions to reset the SMC, PRAM, NVRAM following the apple support articles, but it hasn't helped at all.

The wifi hardware isn't showing up as installed. I'm going to make sure the sound is fully reconnected, though it was working before. Oh, and the system clock was reset when I rebooted, but it doesn't need to be reset when I shutdown and start the macbook.

My plan is to get the Lion installer on USB and try reinstalling that. I was also going to run the Hardware Diagnostic from there if possible. I tried holding down D to get it to come up, several times in fact, but all it did was sit at the grey screen until I let go (either 20 second or 1 1/2 minutes later) then go to the login screen.

It's nuts, but hopefully someone's got an idea of what's going on.

2. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Sorry, but bad news, I think. Had a similar problem due to corrosion on the logic board. Had it replaced at an Apple service centre...