Odd headphone/volume issue MBP 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBHockey, Oct 18, 2009.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I'm having a weird problem on a two-week old 13" MBP.

When I plug in headphones whatever sound was playing, if any, will stop for 10-15 seconds and during this time the volume keys on the keyboard are unresponsive (along with any keyboard keys that operate hardware things...backlight for keyboard, display brightness, although the dashboard and expose keys work). Same goes if I unplug the headphones. If i'm in iTunes, i get a beachball isolated to iTunes during this. When iTUnes recovers from the beachball it "realizes" that it should have actually been playing for the last ten seconds and catches up.

Anyone else have this? I fresh install snow leopard a few days ago. Why would plugging/unplugging headphones (they are the ones that came with my iPhone 3GS) give a beachball in iTunes?

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

have you tried any other headphones the same way you do with your iPhone 3GS headphones?

the only thing that could come to mind, is that the iPhone 3GS headphones do contain a microphone correct?
    it may be causing conflict with the built in mic in the MacBookPro....

try with a regular pair of headphones and see what happens...if its the same thing, then something else is definitely up...but I dont see how it would cause that much of an issue.

3. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

That's a good idea. I will try that. But I just tried the 3GS headphones on my parents C2D iMac and it works as expected. I will report back though.

4. t3heford macrumors member

5. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Interesting, what machine do you have? 13" MBP? Any kind of customizations?

I have a G2 intel SSD and 4 GB of Apple ram.

6. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

AppleNewton, looks like you are on to something :)

If I reboot, and use the headphones that came with my mom's iPod Shuffle, it does not happen. If music is playing and I yank them out music continues to play out of my laptop speakers with no freeze/beach ball. Same thing if I then plug them back in.

But as soon as I do this with the 3GS earbuds, the problem is back. And if I go back to using the iPod Shuffle earbuds, the problem is still there. So, I guess as long as I use normal earbuds I won't have a problem. Weird issue...

7. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

hm that is strange considering I did come across this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=721678

it seems like they should be compatible.

so theyre not playing at all when you plug the earbuds in?
    try getting the ear buds replaced if possible if nothing seems to alleviate the issue.

did the earbud controls work and function on the iMac?

8. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

No, they do work, but I have to wait a good 10-20 seconds for the sound to come on and other 30 seconds or so for the volume buttons to start working right again. It's more of a minor annoyance that made me really curious more than anything.

9. hack4 macrumors newbie

Problem solved (for me)

I've been experiencing the same problem, and have resolved it. AppleNewton is right that the iPhone headphones have an extra ring for the mic, but MacBooks are built to be compatible with this; it's a feature. The freezing is most definitely not normal behaviour.

For me the issue was resolved by running the Parallels uninstaller (I had Parallels installed, and had only partially removed it), then following the manual uninstall instructions.

I go into a bit more detail here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10846997

Hope this is helpful to other people out there.

10. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

OMG, thank you! Totally fixed my problem, I never use Parallels and was meaning of uninstalling it but just didn't see much of a reason until now.

11. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

same problem here, but I actually use Parallels so uninstall it is not an option :(