Odd headphones problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nielsh, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Nielsh macrumors member

Hey there,

I just got my new mobile phone, which came with a headset (Sony Ericsson HM650) which has a one button headset control.

Now I wanted to use it with my unibody macbook pro, when I noticed the sound being very sloppy and appearing in mono.
    No result after searching trough settings and stuff, when I accidentally discovered that when I hold the one button control on the headset itself, the music turns normal and stereo!

Which means I'd have to hold this button at all times to get normal sound output.
    This exact problem doesn't appear on my mobile phone.

Somebody got a lead on this?

Thank you in advance,

Niels

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Most likely dodgy, cheap headphones that probably cost a penny to make. It's not a mac fault. Just make sure you plugged them all the way in.

3. Nielsh thread starter macrumors member

Not the case. They may be cheap, but on my phone they work like a charm, the plug is of high quality and if you had read my post, you'd know they work perfectly when I hold the button on the headset. Thanks for taking time to respond anyways.

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I did read your whole post, and clearly they are no good if you have to hold in the button.

Maybe they are designed for your phone only, but rest assured they are nothing special. Phone manufacturers spend as little as possible on acessories that come in the box.

5. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

Sony Ericsson used a triple contact heahone jack similar to the apple headphone jacks, but the connections are switched, Ina different order than apple's. They are not compatible with apple because Sony Ericsson specifically didn't want them to be.
    - someone who did way too much research into this back in october.

6. Nielsh thread starter macrumors member

I'm in the professional audio business myself and I can tell Sony did a pretty good job on these ones. Especially concerning these are mere accessoiries to a phone.

Well, someone with an answer actually :) Ok, thanks, guess I'll need to use my other headphones for my laptop then.
    I noticed the odd triple contact jack too indeed, but never thought it could have something to do with the order of the parts of the jack..

Well, thanks anyway! I'll mark this as solved.

7. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Well found fizzwinkus.

That's why I said make sure they're plugged all the way in, but I never thought that they'd be the reverse order to normal headphones :p